Old 26-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Prakash
writes
Hi,
We moved into our house last Autumn and left the garden alone to see what
would turn up in the spring. Lots of stuff did Unfortunately most of them
weeds.
Among all that there are a few plants, shrubs, trees that I do not know -
all of them are probably pretty common as this garden seems to just grown
wild for a few years now. Your help in identifying these will be greatly
appreciated. For each of the plants there is a link to my site with the
photo.

1. Is this a plum ? The flower looks like the plums in the RHS books, but
the leaves dont. Its growing in a Laurel hedge. Photo :
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Plum.jpg

Hawthorn

Both plums and hawthorns are in the same family (the rose family) which
is why the flowers look similar.

Both plums (the whole genus Prunus) and the common Hawthorn have just a
single style, so the flowers look even more similar than just the family
resemblance. I think they're the only plants (possibly also some genera
closely related to Prunus) in the family with a single style.

3. Unknown shrub 1. This is rather small - approx 2 feet high. Has small,
round white flowers that turn up in the spring. Most of them are gone now.
Photo : http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown1.jpg

Not sure about this. Looks a bit like Pyracantha, but mine isn't in
flower yet (though I'm in Yorkshire and things are very late in my
garden). Do a Google image search and see what you think. If it is
Pyracantha a) it should have thorns (acantha in the name means thorned)
b) it should be a lot bigger, so it's growing somewhere where it's very
unhappy.

It's too early for Pyracantha most places. Ditto Cotoneasters, but
that's a big genus and maybe there's an early form. I'd think that the
small flowers would cut out the other suggestion of Chaenomeles.

5. Unknown plant 3. Looks suspiciously like a weed. Photo :
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown3.jpg

Looks like a foxglove. Leave it and see.
Foxgloves grow readily from seed, growing a rosette of leaves the first
year and flowering the second year. After this they may carry on for
another year or two or they may die.

I'd've guessed Verbascum phoeniceum, but I wouldn't be confident of
distinguishing the two, in vegative state, from a photo.

6. Unknown shrub 4. Approx 4 feet high. Has small round green/white flowers
or buds. http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown4.jpg

No idea at all!

Should be obvious with hindsight, but I'm stumped as well.

7. Unknown shrub 5. Approx 4 feet high. Has one small red fruit that looks
like a jelly bean. Dont know when the flower appeared - never saw it.
http://www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Unknown5.jpg

??? Fuchsia? but the 'fruit' isn't right. ?? Symphoricarpos (snowberry)
- which have pink berries. You can tell I'm guessing, can't you! I
notice the leaves are 'opposite', ie in pairs which are opposite each
other on the stem, which limits the options quite a bit. Google on
Symphoricarpos and see what you think.

eg:
http://seemegarden.com/images/plants...enbosii_magic_
berry.jpg

Symphoricarpos berries are spherical. I don't think any of the coloured
forms (coralberry) have berries that deep in colour either.

The berry may be left over from last year. It could be some form of
honeysuckle (Lonicera) but I'm just guessing as well.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley