Old 26-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Martha Fifield

Default [IBC] Bonsai Questions

Hi, my name is Martha and I am new to the group as well as new to bonsai. I also love gardening. I joined a bonsai group locally but the group is off for 2 weeks. I am eager to learn and have many questions.

1) Can anyone recommend a bonsai book that explains the basics to beginners such as bonsai rules (ie. apex, branch numbers, etc.)

2) Can anyone recommend a book on advanced bonsai techniques?

3) I currently have many potted plants/ trees and have very limited room in my yard. Some of the trees are growing quick and I will be unable to plant them in the ground anytime soon. I have them in pots until I can move to a bigger place. I am thinking of turning some of these potted plants/ trees into bonsai, after watching some bonsai students shop off the tops of their trees, but I am not sure how to go about this the right way. Some of the potted trees include maple, royal poinciana, aralia, bald cypress, etc. All of them are about 4 feet tall. The Royal Poinciana is closer to 5 ft tall. Can I turn these into bonsai? If so, where do I begin? Are there any books that show this process? or are there any articles on the topic I can read? I have been searching for info on this topic but have found nothing.

Thank you all. I look forward to some guidance and to learning from everyone.
Martha Fifield
Ft Lauderdale, FL - zone 10

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++