Old 26-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Martha Fifield

Default [IBC] Bonsai Questions

Hi, my name is Martha and I am new to the group as well as new to bonsai. I also love gardening. I joined a bonsai group locally but the group is off for 2 weeks. I am eager to learn and have many questions.

1) Can anyone recommend a bonsai book that explains the basics to beginners such as bonsai rules (ie. apex, branch numbers, etc.)

2) Can anyone recommend a book on advanced bonsai techniques?

3) I currently have many potted plants/ trees and have very limited room in my yard. Some of the trees are growing quick and I will be unable to plant them in the ground anytime soon. I have them in pots until I can move to a bigger place. I am thinking of turning some of these potted plants/ trees into bonsai, after watching some bonsai students shop off the tops of their trees, but I am not sure how to go about this the right way. Some of the potted trees include maple, royal poinciana, aralia, bald cypress, etc. All of them are about 4 feet tall. The Royal Poinciana is closer to 5 ft tall. Can I turn these into bonsai? If so, where do I begin? Are there any books that show this process? or are there any articles on the topic I can read? I have been searching for info on this topic but have found nothing.

Thank you all. I look forward to some guidance and to learning from everyone.
Martha Fifield
Ft Lauderdale, FL - zone 10

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

try

www.evergreengardenworks.com

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Jim Lewis

Martha Fifield wrote:
Hi, my name is Martha and I am new to the group as well
as new to bonsai. I also love gardening. I joined a
bonsai group locally but the group is off for 2 weeks. I
am eager to learn and have many questions.

Your group is the BEST way to learn.

1) Can anyone recommend a bonsai book that explains the
basics to beginners such as bonsai rules (ie. apex,
branch numbers, etc.)

Don't get TOO hooked on the "rules." Sunset has a good
beginner's book. It is called simply "Bonsai." Most garden
centers and book stores will have it. Ortho has a new
beginner's book out that also is excellent. It too is
widely available.

2) Can anyone recommend a book on advanced bonsai
techniques?

You're probably a few years away from needing this one. And
the other two I mentioned have enough info to keep you busy
learning for several years.

You also might want to look over the "Knowledge base" at
www.internetbonsaiclub.org.

3) I currently have many potted plants/ trees and have
very limited room in my yard. Some of the trees are
growing quick and I will be unable to plant them in the
ground anytime soon. I have them in pots until I can move
to a bigger place. I am thinking of turning some of
these potted plants/ trees into bonsai, after watching
some bonsai students shop off the tops of their trees,
but I am not sure how to go about this the right way.
Some of the potted trees include maple, royal poinciana,
aralia, bald cypress, etc. All of them are about 4 feet
tall. The Royal Poinciana is closer to 5 ft tall. Can I
turn these into bonsai? If so, where do I begin? Are
there any books that show this process? or are there any
articles on the topic I can read? I have been searching
for info on this topic but have found nothing.

See above.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Ashley Carrier

Martha,

You can also find a large selection of books from:

Stonelantern.com or bonsaioutlet.com

********
********
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 27-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Beckenbach,Joseph R

Martha, welcome to the addiction. You have received good advice from
both Billy and Jim. Here is my two cents worth.

Bonsai (and other plants) are not in a hurry. You shouldn't be either.
The two week wait for your group to meet again is nothing. Getting help
from your local people is invaluable.

Get to the library and/or a book store. Since the plants are not in a
hurry, you have time to read about bonsai. What you read will sometimes
make sense and sometimes make more questions. Then you can ask your
local group. You'll soon find out who's making it and who's faking it.

Take baby steps. You can not learn everything at once and you will not
succeed at everything the first time. The more complicated you make
your 'education', the more confused you'll be.

If you stumble, 'pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over
again'. Revered masters have killed hundreds of trees (and probably
still do sometime) so don't hold yourself to a higher standard.

Finally, the state convention is the weekend of July 4th in Cape
Canaveral. If you can, you should attend as a visitor. Look at the
exhibit of trees. Go through the vendors' area. Buy some raffle
tickets (you might win something and it will help support the state
organization). Strike up some conversations with strangers. Last year,
Billy was involved with the exhibit. I had a nice conversation with him
there.

In general, relax and enjoy yourself with bonsai. You're not going to
make any money with it so why get up-tight? The plants are going to
react on their own (much slower) time table, so why rush? And most
important, your fellow club members are going through the same thing
(although perhaps at different stages than your currently at) and so are
a friendly ear for your concerns.

Have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

Old 27-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Jim

At 04:51 PM 5/26/2005, Martha Fifield wrote:
Hi, my name is Martha and I am new to the group as well as new to bonsai.

1) Can anyone recommend a bonsai

Try this site: http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++