Old 27-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Jim Lewis

Martha Fifield wrote:
Hi, my name is Martha and I am new to the group as well
as new to bonsai. I also love gardening. I joined a
bonsai group locally but the group is off for 2 weeks. I
am eager to learn and have many questions.

Your group is the BEST way to learn.

1) Can anyone recommend a bonsai book that explains the
basics to beginners such as bonsai rules (ie. apex,
branch numbers, etc.)

Don't get TOO hooked on the "rules." Sunset has a good
beginner's book. It is called simply "Bonsai." Most garden
centers and book stores will have it. Ortho has a new
beginner's book out that also is excellent. It too is
widely available.

2) Can anyone recommend a book on advanced bonsai
techniques?

You're probably a few years away from needing this one. And
the other two I mentioned have enough info to keep you busy
learning for several years.

You also might want to look over the "Knowledge base" at
www.internetbonsaiclub.org.

3) I currently have many potted plants/ trees and have
very limited room in my yard. Some of the trees are
growing quick and I will be unable to plant them in the
ground anytime soon. I have them in pots until I can move
to a bigger place. I am thinking of turning some of
these potted plants/ trees into bonsai, after watching
some bonsai students shop off the tops of their trees,
but I am not sure how to go about this the right way.
Some of the potted trees include maple, royal poinciana,
aralia, bald cypress, etc. All of them are about 4 feet
tall. The Royal Poinciana is closer to 5 ft tall. Can I
turn these into bonsai? If so, where do I begin? Are
there any books that show this process? or are there any
articles on the topic I can read? I have been searching
for info on this topic but have found nothing.

See above.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --