Old 26-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Kay

In article , shazzbat
writes

It should be. Rhubarb is generally as tough as old boots.I'm surprised that
you got stems off it until October. The perceived wisdom is that you should
crop rhubarb until you start cropping gooseberries, which we started here in
Dorset a week ago, although I have to admit to a bit of overlapping. All
right then, quite a lot. My own view is that if it's happy to keep
producing, I'm happy to keep eating. When it dies down, I chuck loads of
manure on it, and ignore it until next year.

there are two reasons to stop cropping. One is to allow the plant to use
its leaves to provide food for it to store to give a big crop the
following year. So I'm wondering if the thin stems are nothing to do
with the storm and more to do with too much cutting last year

The second reason is that the oxalic acid levels are supposed to
increase later in the year, so after about June it's not all that good
for you.
--
Kay