Old 27-05-2005, 05:25 AM
Darren Garrison

Default How big do the biggest rose hips get?

My experience with roses before last year has been only with the old roses that have always been in
my family-- ones they always called "seven sisters" but I've found out from the net that eighty
bazillion kind of roses are called seven sisters (photo of one of mine)
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/sevensis.jpg

Anyway, the hips on that rose are only about a half an inch or so across. Last year I bought a few
"modern" types of roses and this year bought more, but I've been deadheading them to encourage more
blooming. But I had taken it for granted that about a half-inch or so was basically how big rose
hips got. But today I was at Wal-Mart and saw a Don Juan rose with a hip on it that was almost the
diameter or a US half dollar, pear-shaped, and orange. I was shocked at how big it was-- big enough
to contain several of what I had thought to be a normal sized rose hip.

So how big do those suckers get at their biggest?