Old 27-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Hemmaholic

Bobby,

You DO get around, don't you! And so glad someone corrected the
terminology on the "Asian Daylily"! I was going to, but you beat me to
it!

Rhonda,

I've got a bad habit of buying bagged lily (Lilium) bulbs that have
been marked down. All to often these are already in growth, but as
long as the bulb is firm they usually do okay. They may not grow right
or bloom right this year, but they will be fine. I have some that were
potted as opposed to planted in the ground, that are just now poking
through the soil and one is already showing buds. I will have to keep
an eye on it and not keep the potting mix too wet. It may abort the
buds, die back and rest while it continues to develop a root system and
then put out new growth in mid summer. The bulb may even divide and
send up several new stems. Next year it may or may not bloom depending
on how much it is able to grow and store energy this summer.

Asiatic Lilies are a pretty hardy group so your bulbs should be fine.

Hemma