Old 26-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Natty Dread

Default Daylily question

I just received a bunch of of Asian daylily bulbs that I orded online. When
I opened the packages, I found that a number of them have already started
sprouting. Is it OK to go ahead and plant them with the sprouts sticking up
out of the ground, or should I cut off the vegetation and plant the bulbs
bare?

Rhonda
Richmond, VA
Zone 7

=====================
Each of us, a cell of awareness
imperfect and incomplete
Genetic blends with uncertain ends
on a fortune-hunt that's far too fleet

Old 26-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Travis

Natty Dread wrote:
I just received a bunch of of Asian daylily bulbs that I orded
online. When I opened the packages, I found that a number of them
have already started sprouting. Is it OK to go ahead and plant
them with the sprouts sticking up out of the ground, or should I
cut off the vegetation and plant the bulbs bare?

Plant them at the correct depth but do not cut off the sprout. The
sprout may or may not stick out of the ground.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 27-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Bobby Baxter

If they are bulbs, then they must be Asiatic lilies and not daylilies
(hemerocallis). If they are daylilies, then they would have a root system
and you would plant the crown about an inch below the surface.

Bobby Baxter
Happy Moose Gardens
http://happymoosegardens.com

m...

Old 27-05-2005, 01:58 AM
William W. Plummer

Natty Dread wrote:

I just received a bunch of of Asian daylily bulbs that I orded online. When
I opened the packages, I found that a number of them have already started
sprouting. Is it OK to go ahead and plant them with the sprouts sticking up
out of the ground, or should I cut off the vegetation and plant the bulbs
bare?

The Asiatic Lily Beetle (little, red, rectangular) will be an enormous
problem. A local gardening expert recommends Bayer Tree and Shrub
(insect control?) because it has a higher percentage of the active
ingredient. All other controls such as Neem oil are known to be
ineffective, in spite of what the popular press says.
Old 27-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Hemmaholic

Bobby,

You DO get around, don't you! And so glad someone corrected the
terminology on the "Asian Daylily"! I was going to, but you beat me to
it!

Rhonda,

I've got a bad habit of buying bagged lily (Lilium) bulbs that have
been marked down. All to often these are already in growth, but as
long as the bulb is firm they usually do okay. They may not grow right
or bloom right this year, but they will be fine. I have some that were
potted as opposed to planted in the ground, that are just now poking
through the soil and one is already showing buds. I will have to keep
an eye on it and not keep the potting mix too wet. It may abort the
buds, die back and rest while it continues to develop a root system and
then put out new growth in mid summer. The bulb may even divide and
send up several new stems. Next year it may or may not bloom depending
on how much it is able to grow and store energy this summer.

Asiatic Lilies are a pretty hardy group so your bulbs should be fine.

Hemma

[IMG] code is On

Daylily Art - Daylily-Cutaway_WEB.jpg (1/2) Suzie-Q[_3_] Garden Photos 2 12-07-2013 09:59 PM
Daylily Macros - DAYLILY-1.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 11-07-2013 01:07 PM
daylily question J. Davidson Gardening 2 14-05-2005 06:10 PM
Another Daylily Question spider Gardening 7 08-07-2003 02:32 PM