Old 27-05-2005, 04:40 PM
David Bockman

Timothy wrote in
:

On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:59:08 +0000, David Bockman wrote:

Timothy wrote in
:

http://ywgc.com/resources/photo/inse...y_beetle_1.jpg

Possibly Psyllobora vigintimaculata, aka mildew-eating ladybird
beetle.

See http://www.cirrusimage.com/beetles_l...Psyllobora.htm

Thank you very much Mr.Bockman, this is what we have. I have treated
these trees with winter oil and sulphur three times this season. I'm
not able to find much information on P. vigintimaculata in regards to
if P. vigintimaculata is the vector of the mildew or not. P.
vigintimaculata seems to be on non-infected leaves and then days later
the leaves are full blown infected. This maybe due to P.
vigintimaculata having spores on it's body and spreading it while
hunting for new fungi patches.

Again, thanks for helping me out.

I don't know the answer either, however it might be worth contacting your
local agricultural extension office and finding out, as it would be a shame
to interfere with a beneficial insect (should the beetle be actually
helping rather than spreading).

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums