Old 25-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Timothy

Default ID requested (insect)

Reposted from sci.bio.entomology.misc

Good day. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.
I've got 3 clients with the same beetle covering their fruit trees. This
happened last year and it's starting again this year. Any offered help
would be great.

http://ywgc.com/resources/photo/inse...ery_beetle.jpg
http://ywgc.com/resources/photo/inse...y_beetle_1.jpg

As a side note, it seems that they help spread powedery mildew. Affected
trees: apples, pears and a plum Location: Lummi island washington state
usa

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com
Old 25-05-2005, 07:59 PM
David Bockman

Timothy wrote in :

http://ywgc.com/resources/photo/inse...y_beetle_1.jpg

Possibly Psyllobora vigintimaculata, aka mildew-eating ladybird beetle.

See http://www.cirrusimage.com/beetles_l...Psyllobora.htm

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 27-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Timothy

On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:59:08 +0000, David Bockman wrote:

Timothy wrote in :

http://ywgc.com/resources/photo/inse...y_beetle_1.jpg

Possibly Psyllobora vigintimaculata, aka mildew-eating ladybird beetle.

See http://www.cirrusimage.com/beetles_l...Psyllobora.htm

Thank you very much Mr.Bockman, this is what we have. I have treated these
trees with winter oil and sulphur three times this season. I'm not able to
find much information on P. vigintimaculata in regards to if P.
vigintimaculata is the vector of the mildew or not. P. vigintimaculata
seems to be on non-infected leaves and then days later the leaves are full
blown infected. This maybe due to P. vigintimaculata having spores on
it's body and spreading it while hunting for new fungi patches.

Again, thanks for helping me out.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com
Old 27-05-2005, 04:40 PM
David Bockman

Timothy wrote in
:

[...]

I don't know the answer either, however it might be worth contacting your
local agricultural extension office and finding out, as it would be a shame
to interfere with a beneficial insect (should the beetle be actually
helping rather than spreading).

Old 29-05-2005, 03:52 AM
Darren Garrison

On Fri, 27 May 2005 15:40:33 GMT, David Bockman wrote:

I don't know the answer either, however it might be worth contacting your
local agricultural extension office and finding out, as it would be a shame
to interfere with a beneficial insect (should the beetle be actually
helping rather than spreading).

He could also aim his questions towards sci.bio.entomology.misc

Old 12-06-2005, 03:31 PM
RAINDEAR

nope. what he's talking about are ROSE CHAFERS

http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...e123rosechafer.
html

i totally disagree with all these unversity entomologists about controlling
them one CHEMICAL spray or another. the method is use is squishing them
between forefinger and thumb, dumping them into jars filled with soapy
water, or using the direct spray on the hose controller. also, the "rose
chafer attachment" placed upon japanese beetles traps may work IF your yard
is large enough to place the traps far away from your plants {roses, grapes,
linden-Tilia trees, willows, beech-Fagus trees, Filipendula, asparagus
ferns, etc ...these are SOME of the plants and trees i've had defoliated by
rose chafers before they were identified for me and my whole household turns
out with jars of water and willing fingers to squish, drown and suffocate
'em} so...if you have any of the above plants AND MORE....and you have a
smallish yard...DO NOT USE THE JAPANESE BEETLE traps with or without rose
chafer attachments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Travis

RAINDEAR wrote:
nope. what he's talking about are ROSE CHAFERS

http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...e123rosechafer.
html

When you post in HTML format the links you post are not clickable.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 12-06-2005, 06:51 PM
David Bockman

RAINDEAR wrote in
:

ROSE CHAFERS

1. Rose Chafers look NOTHING like the beetle he posted. Not even close.

2. While I agree organic pest control is always preferable, in this case
the gentleman posting is responsible for a large commercial orchard. There
is no way hand picking could be an effective control.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

[IMG] code is On

Patio Garden, Cat Friendly help requested Bill Gates Gardening 6 17-03-2011 05:05 PM
Advice requested Azul Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 02-04-2003 11:08 PM
Big old ivy patch, physical removal methods requested MAG Gardening 7 30-03-2003 11:56 PM
Hornwort Info Requested LeilaniR Ponds 4 14-03-2003 12:20 AM
recomendations requested Doug Sheely Freshwater Aquaria Plants 20 27-02-2003 07:42 AM