Old 27-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Sue in Western Maine

Thanks. Everything seems to grows pretty well in it the first year
without additional feed. I'll take a chance and see what happens
re-using the old.

Stuart,

I re-use my potting mix in planters year after year after year, but it is
NOT "compost", and I wonder if we are writing about different growing
media. Are you in the US or elswhere?

The potting mix I use is "soilless mix", a mixture of peat, ground bark,
and perlite. The "compost" sold here in garden centers is generally heavy,
black in color and becomes waterlogged easily in containers, inhibiting root
growth and encouraging plantings to sulk.

I planted my window boxes today, just turned over the mix in the planters to
areate and fluff, added timed release granules, set my plants. No water
needed as everything was quite damp and showers are forecast for the
forseeable future.

I do AGRESSIVELY recycle planting mix. Astonishingly, I've cut my purchase
of "Pro-Mix" from 2 bales a season ( US 29$ each) to one US 7$ bag. The
new mix is specifically for starting seeds, cuttings and divisions when I
want to be sure I'm not harboring mold, mildew, disease, weed seed, or pests
in the starter mix. All the recycled mix goes in annual container
plantings, the tubs, hanging baskets, pots and decorative "stuff".

When I decide the containers are " Overly Contaminated" with too many
impatiens, allyssum, pansy/viola or whatever seeds, they get dumped on a
perennial garden, worked in as I'm dividing/planting, and I deal with the
"volunteers" on a laissez -faire basis. This ensures that my sandy riverine
garden soil gets some peat and perlite now and then, and that is a good
thing.

I used to throw ALL my used planter mix in my "compost pile" every fall,
and start fresh every spring. That got VERY expensive... and now that
compost pile hosts the lushest, most pestilent, Blackberry crop from Hell.
If it's THAT good for growing, I'm not giving it over to Bramble
cultivation.

2 cents worth becomes a novel.

Good growing to you.

Sue