Old 27-05-2005, 10:26 AM

Default New compost?

As I have a small garden I rely on general purpose compost from the
garden centres for troughs and tubs, but does this need to be changed
every year?
I would think there are plenty of nutrients left after one season, so
can I just remove roots etc and re-use? Should I add anything to it?
Thanks for any advice.

Old 27-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
oups.com...
As I have a small garden I rely on general purpose compost from the
garden centres for troughs and tubs, but does this need to be changed
every year?
I would think there are plenty of nutrients left after one season, so
can I just remove roots etc and re-use? Should I add anything to it?
Thanks for any advice.

You can reuse the potting mix. Just remove debris and supplement it with
more mix, if needed. I doubt that there is much nutrient value to most
potting mixes. I would get some Osmacote or other slow release fertilizer
and mix it in before planting.

Old 27-05-2005, 07:48 PM

Thanks. Everything seems to grows pretty well in it the first year
without additional feed. I'll take a chance and see what happens
re-using the old.

Old 27-05-2005, 08:55 PM
simy1

It depends on drainage. In my very sandy, very poor soil, I better add
something new every year. In clay soil, nutrients may be better
retained. Compost is still good in the second or third year, as far as
humus and water retention. So a little fertilizer will make it as good
as new. Do not overestimate the nutrient content.

Some numbers: compost may have 0.2-0.3% P and K by dry weight if
prepared with yard clippings. One ton of wet compost may then have some
2 lbs of K. Those 2lbs are just what I get from 25 tomato plants and
maybe 8 squash plants in one year. And that is not including that most
K leaches into the subsoil and that in october I throw away the plants
to limit disease. Herbivory can deplete your soil faster than you
think, specially with K and fruiting veggies. Of course I add much more
than one ton of compost, and I also add tens of pounds of wood ash. I
add some phosphate (some P is in the ash, and all micronutrients are in
there as well except S), but much less because P does not leach. N
comes from a variety of sources such as manure and kitchen scraps in
the compost, grass clippings used for mulch, beans crops, blood meal
to discourage rodents, etc.

Old 27-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Sue in Western Maine

Thanks. Everything seems to grows pretty well in it the first year
without additional feed. I'll take a chance and see what happens
re-using the old.

Stuart,

I re-use my potting mix in planters year after year after year, but it is
NOT "compost", and I wonder if we are writing about different growing
media. Are you in the US or elswhere?

The potting mix I use is "soilless mix", a mixture of peat, ground bark,
and perlite. The "compost" sold here in garden centers is generally heavy,
black in color and becomes waterlogged easily in containers, inhibiting root
growth and encouraging plantings to sulk.

I planted my window boxes today, just turned over the mix in the planters to
areate and fluff, added timed release granules, set my plants. No water
needed as everything was quite damp and showers are forecast for the
forseeable future.

I do AGRESSIVELY recycle planting mix. Astonishingly, I've cut my purchase
of "Pro-Mix" from 2 bales a season ( US 29$ each) to one US 7$ bag. The
new mix is specifically for starting seeds, cuttings and divisions when I
want to be sure I'm not harboring mold, mildew, disease, weed seed, or pests
in the starter mix. All the recycled mix goes in annual container
plantings, the tubs, hanging baskets, pots and decorative "stuff".

When I decide the containers are " Overly Contaminated" with too many
impatiens, allyssum, pansy/viola or whatever seeds, they get dumped on a
perennial garden, worked in as I'm dividing/planting, and I deal with the
"volunteers" on a laissez -faire basis. This ensures that my sandy riverine
garden soil gets some peat and perlite now and then, and that is a good
thing.

I used to throw ALL my used planter mix in my "compost pile" every fall,
and start fresh every spring. That got VERY expensive... and now that
compost pile hosts the lushest, most pestilent, Blackberry crop from Hell.
If it's THAT good for growing, I'm not giving it over to Bramble
cultivation.

2 cents worth becomes a novel.

Good growing to you.

Sue
Western Maine

Old 27-05-2005, 09:20 PM

Over time it turns to muck and smothers the roots. Make sure you have
plenty of coarse sand or pearlite to open up some pore space and let
air in.

Old 28-05-2005, 12:59 PM

I re-use my potting mix in planters year after year after year, but it is
NOT "compost", and I wonder if we are writing about different growing
media. Are you in the US or elswhere?

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
I'm in UK where "general purpose compost" is described on the bag as
"peat reduced". Reading on (and maybe I should have done that before
posting the question) it says it contains enough nutrients for the
first 4-6 weeks only, after which you should go and spend more money on
liquid fertilisers, so it looks like this stuff is "soilless".
I'll try recycling with the time release granules. We do get a lot of
ants in our window boxes so it may have to be dumped anyway.

Old 29-05-2005, 01:51 AM
Sue in Western Maine

wrote in message
oups.com...
I re-use my potting mix in planters year after year after year, but it

is
NOT "compost", and I wonder if we are writing about different growing
media. Are you in the US or elswhere?

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
I'm in UK where "general purpose compost" is described on the bag as
"peat reduced". Reading on (and maybe I should have done that before
posting the question) it says it contains enough nutrients for the
first 4-6 weeks only, after which you should go and spend more money on
liquid fertilisers, so it looks like this stuff is "soilless".
I'll try recycling with the time release granules. We do get a lot of
ants in our window boxes so it may have to be dumped anyway.

Don't worry about what you didn't read. Soilless Mix simply provides a
medium where nutrient delivery can happen, where roots can have purchase,
and therefore support growth. In the greenhouse environment, watering is
done with a soluble fertiliser that nets out to 20-20-20 NPK, kickstarting
the plant material to pleasing maturity early enough so you'll pay good
money to buy it. There is usually enough nutrient in the mix to carry
your purchased plants for much of the planting season, but you'll have to
supplement the soilless mix with additional NPK for best performance.

Gardening does test the wallet, by design.

Sue
Western Maine

Old 29-05-2005, 03:53 PM

Don't worry about what you didn't read. Soilless Mix simply provides a
medium where nutrient delivery can happen, where roots can have purchase,
and therefore support growth. In the greenhouse environment, watering is
done with a soluble fertiliser that nets out to 20-20-20 NPK, kickstarting
the plant material to pleasing maturity early enough so you'll pay good
money to buy it. There is usually enough nutrient in the mix to carry
your purchased plants for much of the planting season, but you'll have to
supplement the soilless mix with additional NPK for best performance.

Gardening does test the wallet, by design.

Sue
Western Maine

Thanks, Sue. Much appreciated.