Old 27-05-2005, 09:05 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Don't count on it. You're in Westchester. There must be tons of garden
centers within 15 minutes of where you live. Why on earth would you mail
order tomato plants, which are as common as white bread? Hard-to-find
plants - that I can see. But tomatoes???

I ordered uncommon varieties that I have trouble finding locally. For
instance the only Cherokee Purple I found last year was large plants
for between $18-30.00 each at an upscale nursery. Instead it costs a
total of ~$3.50 per plant from Territorial Seed, and I get to
experiment with all unusual varieties. Last year I didn't find
Brandywine or Black Crim anywhere, and I thought surely someone must
carry Brandywine. This way I also don't waste gas & time(don't have
enough of this as is) hunting all over Westchester for a nursery with
unusuals. Most of the local nurseries have the same selection over and
over again (earyl girl, better boy, big beef, healthy kick). And
you'll never know who will have what. I visited a series of nurseries
a few weeks ago(spent the entire day driving around and shopping) and,
of course, absolutely no tomatoes or any other summer fruit. Until
they get them in you won't know who will carry what. Catalog shopping
is a hell of a lot more reliable as long as you trust the vendor.

I'd preferred to have spend $3 on enough seeds for the next four years
and grown them all from seed, but I had missed starting seedlings this
year due to crazy work schedules.

Case in point, my landlord just came from home depot. They had two
varieties of tomatoes on display and register lines snaking through
the entire garden center. The nice UPS man dropped them off and they
are in the ground. When you don't have the time, the extra cost can
buy you time. I paid about $1 more than home depot. Totally worth it.

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
.. .
The end of one of the tomato plants is snapped almost completely off.
It is hanging on by two millimeters of stem. Basically the plant is
two lateral leafs and then a broken tip. WIll this regrow new
branches? It is snapped at the crotch of the second leaf, so I don't
know if that will send out anything.

Any hope for a plant damaged so close to the root?
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/