Old 27-05-2005, 07:33 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Shipped tomato plants...broken tip

The end of one of the tomato plants is snapped almost completely off.
It is hanging on by two millimeters of stem. Basically the plant is
two lateral leafs and then a broken tip. WIll this regrow new
branches? It is snapped at the crotch of the second leaf, so I don't
know if that will send out anything.

Any hope for a plant damaged so close to the root?
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/
Old 27-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Doug Kanter

Don't count on it. You're in Westchester. There must be tons of garden
centers within 15 minutes of where you live. Why on earth would you mail
order tomato plants, which are as common as white bread? Hard-to-find
plants - that I can see. But tomatoes???

Old 27-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Travis

DigitalVinyl wrote:
The end of one of the tomato plants is snapped almost completely
off. It is hanging on by two millimeters of stem. Basically the
plant is two lateral leafs and then a broken tip. WIll this regrow
new branches? It is snapped at the crotch of the second leaf, so I
don't know if that will send out anything.

Any hope for a plant damaged so close to the root?

It will be just fine.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 27-05-2005, 09:05 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Don't count on it. You're in Westchester. There must be tons of garden
centers within 15 minutes of where you live. Why on earth would you mail
order tomato plants, which are as common as white bread? Hard-to-find
plants - that I can see. But tomatoes???

I ordered uncommon varieties that I have trouble finding locally. For
instance the only Cherokee Purple I found last year was large plants
for between $18-30.00 each at an upscale nursery. Instead it costs a
total of ~$3.50 per plant from Territorial Seed, and I get to
experiment with all unusual varieties. Last year I didn't find
Brandywine or Black Crim anywhere, and I thought surely someone must
carry Brandywine. This way I also don't waste gas & time(don't have
enough of this as is) hunting all over Westchester for a nursery with
unusuals. Most of the local nurseries have the same selection over and
over again (earyl girl, better boy, big beef, healthy kick). And
you'll never know who will have what. I visited a series of nurseries
a few weeks ago(spent the entire day driving around and shopping) and,
of course, absolutely no tomatoes or any other summer fruit. Until
they get them in you won't know who will carry what. Catalog shopping
is a hell of a lot more reliable as long as you trust the vendor.

I'd preferred to have spend $3 on enough seeds for the next four years
and grown them all from seed, but I had missed starting seedlings this
year due to crazy work schedules.

Case in point, my landlord just came from home depot. They had two
varieties of tomatoes on display and register lines snaking through
the entire garden center. The nice UPS man dropped them off and they
are in the ground. When you don't have the time, the extra cost can
buy you time. I paid about $1 more than home depot. Totally worth it.

.. .

Old 27-05-2005, 09:07 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Don't count on it.

That's what I figured. I'll put it in the ground next to the
replacement Territorial Seed is sending next week. If it grows
anything, it grows.

Old 27-05-2005, 11:10 PM
RhondaM

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
The end of one of the tomato plants is snapped almost completely off.
It is hanging on by two millimeters of stem. Basically the plant is
two lateral leafs and then a broken tip. WIll this regrow new
branches? It is snapped at the crotch of the second leaf, so I don't
know if that will send out anything.

Any hope for a plant damaged so close to the root?
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

I broke off the entire stalk of a tomato plant a few years back planted it
anyways and it grew back. Just give it a little TLC.

Old 27-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Warren

DigitalVinyl wrote:
The end of one of the tomato plants is snapped almost completely off.
It is hanging on by two millimeters of stem. Basically the plant is
two lateral leafs and then a broken tip. WIll this regrow new
branches? It is snapped at the crotch of the second leaf, so I don't
know if that will send out anything.

Any hope for a plant damaged so close to the root?

I'll put my bet on it growing fine. Tomatoes can take a lot of abusive,
well, let's call it pruning, as long as the ongoing care they get once
planted is good.

Good to hear they're sending a replacement. I could be that they sent out
the best, and your replacement might not be starting off as well, but I'll
put my money on both your broken plant, and any replacement, even if it's an
abused left-over, doing fine. Maybe they'll be a week or two behind what
they could have been, but they ought to be fine.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/tele.../fall2005.html

Old 28-05-2005, 01:10 PM
DigitalVinyl

"RhondaM" wrote:

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
.. .
The end of one of the tomato plants is snapped almost completely off.
It is hanging on by two millimeters of stem. Basically the plant is
two lateral leafs and then a broken tip. WIll this regrow new
branches? It is snapped at the crotch of the second leaf, so I don't
know if that will send out anything.

Any hope for a plant damaged so close to the root?
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

I broke off the entire stalk of a tomato plant a few years back planted it
anyways and it grew back. Just give it a little TLC.

That's good to hear. I've planted next to where the replacement will
be planted. I'll see what that kind of damage does to it's growth
across the season. The biggest concern is that there is only one
stem-crotch for a new vine to branch out of. The second one is where
the stem has been ripped. It'll be interesting if it can sprout a new
one from the damaged and open area.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

[IMG] code is On

Broken Canna Tip chase100 Gardening 0 16-04-2011 04:07 PM
Tomato plant stalks broken Paul M. Cook Gardening 15 18-07-2010 03:57 PM
Summer tip....Limp plants. PC Australia 0 08-01-2010 12:07 PM
Tomato tip PatC Australia 39 05-10-2006 08:57 PM
Tip for Cherry Tomato Lovers ---Pete--- Edible Gardening 0 07-07-2003 08:36 PM