Old 27-05-2005, 10:52 PM
BetsyB

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
In article says...
Anyone got any stories about interesting and creative ways of re-using
things??

I make planters out of discarded milk crates by lining them with
weathered wood ripped to size with my table saw. Last year someone did a
gut job on a building down the street. While replacing all their floor
joists they threw a bunch of 5' long scrap I beams (the heavy trusses
made of 2x4s) in the dumpster. I loaded them up in my van and this
spring used them as the frame for a new 3'x10'x18"(high) wildflower
planter. I'm always looking for through dumpsters on job sites for
interesting pieces of scrap wood that can be made into a planter.
Yesterday I saw a bunch of wood pallets in a dumpster down the street
that gave me an idea and then realized I made too many damn planters this
spring.

On the subject of pallets:
They can be taken apart, run thru a planer, if you have one and the wood
used for furniture like coffee tables.