Old 28-05-2005, 03:02 AM
bungadora

Nena wrote:
Hello Everyone:

My husband and l are landscaping our 1/2 acre of property in Alberta,
Canada. I am looking to introduce the sound of running water into the
back yard. I do not want a pond. I think l am looking for something
that l can install, like a fountain with a pump and maybe a bird bath.
Any ideas on websites where l can find some? I don't want to spend a
fortune. The sound of water, while sitting outside is a beautiful
thing.

Well, I normally lurk on this group, but you're an Albertan.

I think you're on the right track not doing the pond thing. They're a
lot of work for something you only have open for 4-5 months of the
year. And if you have fish in the pond you either have to install a
heater or take them in for the winter. Which is why my neighbor has a
very large tank in her very small living room.

I'm not familiar with what is available in northern Alberta, but I've
seen small fountains for sale several places in Calgary, besides places
like Home Depot or Canadian Tire. The Gardening Angel, and Edwards come
to mind. You might also consider taking the Calgary Horticultural
Society garden tour. Several members of the Horticultural Society
incorporate small water features into their gardens.

Upcoming events are on the website and you might want to take a look at
some of the links: http://www.calhort.org

I'm sure the Edmonton Horticultural Society has tours as well if
Edmonton is closer.

You might want to look at this website. It has several on-line
catalogue for Canadian suppliers linked in.
http://www.canadiangardening.ca/catalogues

Look under specialties: water gardening
Dora