Old 27-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Nena

Default Water in the garden

Hello Everyone:

My husband and l are landscaping our 1/2 acre of property in Alberta,
Canada. I am looking to introduce the sound of running water into the
back yard. I do not want a pond. I think l am looking for something
that l can install, like a fountain with a pump and maybe a bird bath.
Any ideas on websites where l can find some? I don't want to spend a
fortune. The sound of water, while sitting outside is a beautiful
thing.

Please advise,
Magdalena

Old 27-05-2005, 07:57 PM
William W. Plummer

Nena wrote:
Hello Everyone:

My husband and l are landscaping our 1/2 acre of property in Alberta,
Canada. I am looking to introduce the sound of running water into the
back yard. I do not want a pond. I think l am looking for something
that l can install, like a fountain with a pump and maybe a bird bath.
Any ideas on websites where l can find some? I don't want to spend a
fortune. The sound of water, while sitting outside is a beautiful
thing.

Yes. We got a bird bath and had an old outdoor pump to keep the water
circulating. This also keeps mosquitoes from breeding. I went looking
for a bigger pump and found a local nursery that advertises water
features. You can pay anywhere from $15 to $700 depending on size.

One problem I noticed was the foam filter seems to get clogged up
easily, cutting down on the capacity. I'm thinking about just leaving
it out altogether.
Old 27-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Vox Humana

"Nena" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Everyone:

My husband and l are landscaping our 1/2 acre of property in Alberta,
Canada. I am looking to introduce the sound of running water into the
back yard. I do not want a pond. I think l am looking for something
that l can install, like a fountain with a pump and maybe a bird bath.
Any ideas on websites where l can find some? I don't want to spend a
fortune. The sound of water, while sitting outside is a beautiful
thing.

I would look at local garden centers and home improvement stores. Most bird
baths and fountains are very heavy and expensive to ship.

Old 27-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Vox Humana

"Nena" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Everyone:

My husband and l are landscaping our 1/2 acre of property in Alberta,
Canada. I am looking to introduce the sound of running water into the
back yard. I do not want a pond. I think l am looking for something
that l can install, like a fountain with a pump and maybe a bird bath.
Any ideas on websites where l can find some? I don't want to spend a
fortune. The sound of water, while sitting outside is a beautiful
thing.

Please advise,
Magdalena

If you don't find anything locally, you might try Frontgate. They have a
good selection of garden object, including "art" pieces and fountains. You
should subscribe to some of their catalogs to keep updated on their
offering.
www.frontgate.com

Old 27-05-2005, 10:39 PM
BetsyB

"Nena" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Everyone:

My husband and l are landscaping our 1/2 acre of property in Alberta,
Canada. I am looking to introduce the sound of running water into the
back yard. I do not want a pond. I think l am looking for something
that l can install, like a fountain with a pump and maybe a bird bath.
Any ideas on websites where l can find some? I don't want to spend a
fortune. The sound of water, while sitting outside is a beautiful
thing.

Please advise,
Magdalena

Look in this online catalog. There is a lovely copper water fountain. I lov
ethe look of it and can only imagine the sound.
http://www.plowhearth.com/productform.asp

href="http://www.plowhearth.com/productform.asp"http://www.plowhearth.com/productform.asp/a
I bet you find something here.

BetsyB

Old 28-05-2005, 03:02 AM
bungadora

Nena wrote:
Hello Everyone:

My husband and l are landscaping our 1/2 acre of property in Alberta,
Canada. I am looking to introduce the sound of running water into the
back yard. I do not want a pond. I think l am looking for something
that l can install, like a fountain with a pump and maybe a bird bath.
Any ideas on websites where l can find some? I don't want to spend a
fortune. The sound of water, while sitting outside is a beautiful
thing.

Well, I normally lurk on this group, but you're an Albertan.

I think you're on the right track not doing the pond thing. They're a
lot of work for something you only have open for 4-5 months of the
year. And if you have fish in the pond you either have to install a
heater or take them in for the winter. Which is why my neighbor has a
very large tank in her very small living room.

I'm not familiar with what is available in northern Alberta, but I've
seen small fountains for sale several places in Calgary, besides places
like Home Depot or Canadian Tire. The Gardening Angel, and Edwards come
to mind. You might also consider taking the Calgary Horticultural
Society garden tour. Several members of the Horticultural Society
incorporate small water features into their gardens.

Upcoming events are on the website and you might want to take a look at
some of the links: http://www.calhort.org

I'm sure the Edmonton Horticultural Society has tours as well if
Edmonton is closer.

You might want to look at this website. It has several on-line
catalogue for Canadian suppliers linked in.
http://www.canadiangardening.ca/catalogues

Look under specialties: water gardening
Dora

Old 28-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Pat

The amount of noise depends on how far the water drops.

Old 29-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Warren

Pat wrote:
The amount of noise depends on how far the water drops.

As well as whether it drops on standing or flowing water or rocks, and how
great the flow is, and how focused it is, and a half dozen other variables.
You can also have masculine and feminine sounds, and various tones, some
which travel further, and thus will sound comparatively louder further away.

Of all the variables, how far the water drops is probably one of the least
important factor in how loud it sounds.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
What's on TV? See the new fall network schedules online:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/tele.../fall2005.html

Old 01-06-2005, 01:20 PM

going by the price of the Zero-Gravity Recliner at Frontgate, they charge $179, I got
mine at Lowes for $59. BTW, those recliners are wondefully comfortable.
local hardware stores may carry nice water features. Steins has some not too bad
ones. Ingrid

"Vox Humana" wrote:
If you don't find anything locally, you might try Frontgate. They have a
good selection of garden object, including "art" pieces and fountains. You
should subscribe to some of their catalogs to keep updated on their
offering.
www.frontgate.com

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Old 01-06-2005, 01:38 PM

well. living in zone 5 even I have this desire for something besides ice and snow
all winter long. I think people farther north NEED a greenhouse of some kind to take
the edge off, to hasten spring, delay fall. even a tiny greenhouse with a pond and
waterfall at one end are going to provide an oasis of life in winter (OK, so my
finches do a lot of that). I would NOT put the greenhouse "out" where I would have
to shovel a walk to get there (done that, didnt care for that at all). better to
have the little greenhouse attached to the house in some manner so can step right
into the greenhouse (or have the door swing IN). Greenhouses do not have to be
heated for them to provide winter relief. If they are situated with protection (and
snow acts as insulator on the bottom) they get pleasant when the winter sun shines
in. a greenhouse, a small pump and pond heater is all that is needed to keep the
water moving all winter.

Ponds do not have to be a lot of work.
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/changes/changes.htm
mine has a long veggie filter that is cleaned out once a year in fall before the pond
is winterized. I drop in a 500 watt heater, cover with plastic lean to, have a small
pump running and the fish are active (and fed) for all but one month in January when
the pond temp goes below 50. the pond never freezes over. without the heater the
pond would not freeze anyway. and my pond is partially above ground. I wouldnt
suggest that for further north. Ingrid

"bungadora" wrote:
I think you're on the right track not doing the pond thing. They're a
lot of work for something you only have open for 4-5 months of the
year. And if you have fish in the pond you either have to install a
heater or take them in for the winter. Which is why my neighbor has a
very large tank in her very small living room.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 01-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Toni

"Warren" wrote in message
Pat wrote:
The amount of noise depends on how far the water drops.

As well as whether it drops on standing or flowing water or rocks, and how
great the flow is, and how focused it is, and a half dozen other

variables.
You can also have masculine and feminine sounds, and various tones, some
which travel further, and thus will sound comparatively louder further

away.

Of all the variables, how far the water drops is probably one of the least
important factor in how loud it sounds.

Might someone please elaborate (or post a link) on the techniques of
manipulating the water sounds as you mentoned?

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 02-06-2005, 01:35 AM
bungadora

Lovely pond, Ingrid. My neighbor says that the pond isn't that much
work while it's in use - prep and cleaning up in the fall are what have
worn her down. The season is so short here, and I prefer to enjoy it
while I can.

I like creeks with little waterfalls personally. Not that I have the
ambition to do that myself.

If the OP is still reading, I saw some fountains at a local greenhouse
last weekend.
Dora