Old 28-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone: I have a slug infestation--but enough about my
neighbors--lol...
Seriously though--what I hate about my garden is that every year I'm
looking for a new way to kill slugs. I'm looking forward to moving so
that this (hopefully) won't be much of an issue at my new house.
Anything new on the market that is safe? I've used Sluggo and like it
quite a bit. Because I'm moving, I've put some veggies in containers
and what a difference! The container plants are much healthier and the
others looked sickly until I put Bug Getta around my plants and every
morning there's a sickly slug mess out there. My two cats like to roam
around my yard (it's fenced-in so no worries cat lovers), and I'm not
crazy about using commercial slug killer out there.
Are slugs very common? (I'm in PA) Do I have this to look forward to
again when I move?
I've tried the coffee, beer route and neither of those have worked for
me.
Stephanie

I looked at a study recently that compared various types of beer along with
wine, fruit juice, and alcohol in water, yeast in sugar solution, and plain
water. There was a big variation how well the various beers worked. The
other substances didn't work very well at all. As I recall, Budweiser
worked the best. I have had some luck using a solution of sugar, water, and
baking yeast. The study said that lager yeast was the best. I suppose you
can find that at store that sell beer making supplies. I have such a large
area to cover a with about 300 hostas, that I have all but given up. I got
some iron phosphate bate on deep discount and have had some success with
that, but it was very expensive and I couldn't see buying more at full
price.