Old 28-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Slugs!

Hi everyone: I have a slug infestation--but enough about my
neighbors--lol...
Seriously though--what I hate about my garden is that every year I'm
looking for a new way to kill slugs. I'm looking forward to moving so
that this (hopefully) won't be much of an issue at my new house.
Anything new on the market that is safe? I've used Sluggo and like it
quite a bit. Because I'm moving, I've put some veggies in containers
and what a difference! The container plants are much healthier and the
others looked sickly until I put Bug Getta around my plants and every
morning there's a sickly slug mess out there. My two cats like to roam
around my yard (it's fenced-in so no worries cat lovers), and I'm not
crazy about using commercial slug killer out there.
Are slugs very common? (I'm in PA) Do I have this to look forward to
again when I move?
I've tried the coffee, beer route and neither of those have worked for
me.
Stephanie

Old 28-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Cereus-validus.....

If you're looking for a new way to kill slugs, why not go to your liquor
store and buy some imported European beer to kill them?

Turn your Memorial Day weekend into a full scale slug festival!!!!

ups.com...

Old 28-05-2005, 03:52 PM
paghat

In article ,
"Cereus-validus....." wrote:

If you're looking for a new way to kill slugs, why not go to your liquor
store and buy some imported European beer to kill them?

Turn your Memorial Day weekend into a full scale slug festival!!!!

Make that a full SNAIL slug festival.

ups.com...

--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 28-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I looked at a study recently that compared various types of beer along with
wine, fruit juice, and alcohol in water, yeast in sugar solution, and plain
water. There was a big variation how well the various beers worked. The
other substances didn't work very well at all. As I recall, Budweiser
worked the best. I have had some luck using a solution of sugar, water, and
baking yeast. The study said that lager yeast was the best. I suppose you
can find that at store that sell beer making supplies. I have such a large
area to cover a with about 300 hostas, that I have all but given up. I got
some iron phosphate bate on deep discount and have had some success with
that, but it was very expensive and I couldn't see buying more at full
price.

Old 28-05-2005, 09:12 PM
paghat

In article , "Vox Humana"
wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

FRESH beer worked as slug ATTRACTANT (it is even used for native slug &
snail population counts by researchers who don't want native mulloscs to
be harmed). It doesn't attract them when it goes flat, & doesn't kill them
at all UNLESS it induces them to fall into something deep enough they
can't get out of & so drown & if it isn't already full of drowned frogs &
beetles & earthworms & baby garter snakes & beneficial insects to help
make the depth a shallow enough for them to climb out of even a deep trap.
Some people literally put out pie tins of beer, which is like putting out
milk for the cats, it'll just make 'em happier & more numerous.

Budweiser & the non-alcoholic Kingbury Malt were their faves, but it stops
attracting them after an hour or two when it goes flat & stops exuding the
odor of hops. Get up every two hours throughout the night & replace the
beer, it'll be active longer that way. A Yoplay yogurt plastic cup smaller
at the top than at the bottom is just barely too deep for an adult slug to
reach its foot out of, so it drowns in the beer. Keep the lip of the
buried Yoplay cup an inch above ground level to minimalize the losses of
other wee lives, without effecting the number of slugs who notice the
odor.

No killer bait works better & more lastingly than Iron phosphate (such as
in Sluggo); & no other bait is honestly non-toxic. If timed well the adult
slugs are killed before they reproduce & the slug population will lower
each year even without a lot of applications. All other baits work from a
tiny bit to not at all.

Virtually all miscellaneous methods of slug control are mere folklore
except two: Going out at night with a flashlight & catching them in the
act & dropping them in deep soapy water; or "barriering" a garden with
copper flashing (or wrapping containers in copper foil). The copper
stripping sold in garden stores doesn't work because it isn't wide enough;
slugs hump right over it. But it's a fact they don't like to touch copper
(theory is it causes an electrical charge but the reason they dislike
copper isn't really known) & if it is at least six inches wide they can't
cross it. It's an impractical method for an extensive garden, it can be a
garden hazard if copper is sharp-edged, & it has to be kept shiny since
when soiled it ceases to work. But for sensitive seedling beds or small
special areas or finite raised beds, copper flashing might be practical.

For mo
http://www.paghat.com/slugcontrol.html

Old 29-05-2005, 01:30 AM
Vox Humana

"paghat" wrote in message
news

No killer bait works better & more lastingly than Iron phosphate (such as
in Sluggo); & no other bait is honestly non-toxic. If timed well the adult
slugs are killed before they reproduce & the slug population will lower
each year even without a lot of applications. All other baits work from a
tiny bit to not at all.

What would be the optimum timing?

Old 29-05-2005, 02:29 AM
paghat

In article , "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
news

No killer bait works better & more lastingly than Iron phosphate (such as
in Sluggo); & no other bait is honestly non-toxic. If timed well the adult
slugs are killed before they reproduce & the slug population will lower
each year even without a lot of applications. All other baits work from a
tiny bit to not at all.

What would be the optimum timing?

Slugs could conceivably lay eggs year round in continuously cool moist
conditions, but such conditions don't exist many places. Their prime
laying time can vary from region to region, but in western Washington &
Oregon they don't lay eggs in winter or in summer. They lay the majority
of their eggs in autumn, about September/October, so kill all the adults
by the time the first hard September rains arrive. A secondary laying
period is March/April. For each one killed by September or at the very
start of March, that'll mean 200 to 400 babies that won't arrive in the
garden that year, as one slug will lay that many eggs in batches of thirty
or fifty throughout the garden.

-paghat the ratgirl
Old 01-06-2005, 01:43 PM

granite grit (like for pigeons) is cheap and works well. it provides good drainage
when mixed into soil anyway. with a lot of slugs it is better to use no mulch of any
kind. here is site with more ideas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2876862
"The toad is the slug's worst enemy, although there are other things that eat slugs
and snails. Ground beetles, slow-worms and frogs, even centipedes will eat them, as
well as birds. Put in a wildlife pond if you can, or simply provide a container with
water - as long as the toads have access, they will come, bringing frogs with them.
It will also encourage birds to visit your garden more often.

Ground beetles share the same habitat as slugs; moist areas that are protected from
the sun during the day. Provide stone slabs, pieces of wood, and other moist areas
for them to shelter under. This will also encourage hedgehogs, which eat slugs.

To make it easy for birds to eat them, place citrus peel or melon rinds around the
garden in the evening. The slugs will be attracted by any seeds remaining, and will
stay under as daylight comes. Turn the peel or rind over in the morning to display
the sheltering slugs to birds. Birds will also eat the eggs, so raking the garden can
expose them. The majority hatch in spring, although eggs are laid all year round.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE