Old 28-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Jeff Frelinger

Paul Mitchell wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2005, mbarbet wrote:

What is the best time to plant Japanese Maples?

I have no idea! I do know that planting trees in the summer heat
of the Piedmont is an ill-advisied move. Taking a quote from the Virginia
Department of Forestry web page
(http://www.dof.virginia.gov/mgt/how-to-plant.shtml):

When to Plant Trees

The climate of your area is a major factor when determining the
appropriate planting time. Newly planted trees do best when exposed to
moderate temperature and rainfall; they need time to root and acclimatize
before the weather extremes of summer or winter. Therefore, Spring and
early Fall are generally the best planting seasons (depending on your
location). In the southern United States, which do not experience an
intense winter, planting can take place during the winter months.

Paul

Best time to plant is in the Fall- say October