Old 24-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Dick Adams

Default Source for Red Maple Trees

I am planning to buy a house in Chapel Hill and move in this summer.
Does anyone know of a local source for Red Maple trees that are at
least four feet tall? I want to plant as many as I can.

Dick
Old 25-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Jennifer Richards

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
I am planning to buy a house in Chapel Hill and move in this summer.
Does anyone know of a local source for Red Maple trees that are at
least four feet tall? I want to plant as many as I can.

Dick

You might try Red Mill Nursery on Red Mill Road in Durham.

Old 25-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Paul Mitchell

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Jennifer Richards wrote:

I am planning to buy a house in Chapel Hill and move in this summer.
Does anyone know of a local source for Red Maple trees that are at
least four feet tall? I want to plant as many as I can.

Unsure if Japanese Maples qualify in your search, but if so, check out:

http://www.japanesemaples-nc.com

And a word of caution: planting these trees in summer time is risky, and
will require large amounts of watering, I imagine.

Paul Mitchell

Paul Mitchell
email:
phone: (919) 962-9778
office: I have an office, room 14, Phillips Hall

Old 27-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Paul Mitchell

On Thu, 26 May 2005, mbarbet wrote:

What is the best time to plant Japanese Maples?

I have no idea! I do know that planting trees in the summer heat
of the Piedmont is an ill-advisied move. Taking a quote from the Virginia
Department of Forestry web page
(http://www.dof.virginia.gov/mgt/how-to-plant.shtml):

When to Plant Trees

The climate of your area is a major factor when determining the
appropriate planting time. Newly planted trees do best when exposed to
moderate temperature and rainfall; they need time to root and acclimatize
before the weather extremes of summer or winter. Therefore, Spring and
early Fall are generally the best planting seasons (depending on your
location). In the southern United States, which do not experience an
intense winter, planting can take place during the winter months.

Paul

Old 28-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Jeff Frelinger

Paul Mitchell wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2005, mbarbet wrote:

What is the best time to plant Japanese Maples?

I have no idea! I do know that planting trees in the summer heat
of the Piedmont is an ill-advisied move. Taking a quote from the Virginia
Department of Forestry web page
(http://www.dof.virginia.gov/mgt/how-to-plant.shtml):

When to Plant Trees

The climate of your area is a major factor when determining the
appropriate planting time. Newly planted trees do best when exposed to
moderate temperature and rainfall; they need time to root and acclimatize
before the weather extremes of summer or winter. Therefore, Spring and
early Fall are generally the best planting seasons (depending on your
location). In the southern United States, which do not experience an
intense winter, planting can take place during the winter months.

Paul

Best time to plant is in the Fall- say October
Old 31-05-2005, 04:29 PM

If you need large numbers of Red Maples, try the NC Division of Forest
Rescources:

http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/publications/seedcatalog.pdf

--
Will Cook - Durham, NC