Old 28-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Theo Markettos contains these words:

I think the reason ours has weedy stems is that because it was flattened
they had to grow further to get to the light (all the leaves have been
compressed together). Some of the leaves are yellow and ragged where they
don't get enough light. The central stems are still strong, but it's the
ones around the edges that have been flattened which I'm wondering what to
do with.

I've been pulling my rhubarb quite heavily, and new stems coming up are
still nearly as thick as tubes of tomato purée.

You can see a couple of pretty basic pics of it at:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/roobarb1.jpg and
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/roobarb2.jpg

Those were taken was at the end of last year - its first year, a
side-shoot from a crown of Timperley Early which was between the size of
a large carrot and a small parsnip.

With rhubarb, feeding is half the answer, The other three halves are
watering it.

For now, any general purpose liquid feed will do: mix it as per the
instructions on the container, and give each crown at least two gallons
of it, distributed *ROUND* it. Repeat a couple more times during the
year.

When the crowns die back in the autumn, you can pile all sorts of stuff
round them: wood ash, compost, horse/cow/pig manure (and it doesn't have
to be rotted, so long as you don't cover the crown with it.), bonemeal,
any old stock which has gone off, etc. Careful with chicken manu it's
best to compost that with stuff like leaves and grass-cuttings first.

Stop feeding with this sort of stuff around January. I generally
continue to give mine the washing-up water, especially if it's a bit
soupy. (Never put water containing washing powders such as Ariel,
Persil, Daz etc - they contain borax.)

Living alone as I do, I tend to allow a plastic bowl to fill with items
to wash up before doing the job - saves hot water, is my excuse. So, the
soup^H^H^H^water afterwards is very acceptable to rhubarb...

I reckon to kive my one crown at least a gallon of water a day, and in
hot dry weather, four gallons.

--
Rusty