Old 28-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

I wouldn't recommend anybody living the student lifestyle to indulge
in sugar-free preserving like that. Yes, you can do it, particularly,
I imagine, with something as acid as rhubarb; but I'd hesitate to
take responsibility for somebody else's skills. Or is rhubarb indeed
so acid as to be a special case?

I've never had any problems with rhubarb. Of course, you can always add
sugar, but the pressure-cooking raises the temperature significantly
above 100° C, and as long as you expel the air with steam (the jars will
continue to simmer when you've removed the lid of the cooker) you're
left with a pretty good vacuum in the space at the top of the jar.

The only unsweetened fruit I've had trouble with is black nightshade,
and I lost the lot last year. This year I shall add lots of sugar...

For anyone who unforgets our thread on black nightshade last year, the
golden variety I found was identified by Kew as red nightshade. I don't
know why it's called 'red' because it's the colour of a golden tomato,
but translucent. It has a slightly nicer flavour than the black
variety...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/