Old 29-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Winston Smith

Default Seeding a New Lawn - Neat Trick

Has anybody else ever done this?

Last year, I repaired a large portion of my lawn after extensive excavation
work was done on my property. A friend told me to brew a strong tea from 10
teabags and combine it in a five gallon bucket with grass seed and enough
tap water to make it mushy. I filled the bucket up with this mixture and
let it sit overnight in the garage. The next mooring I could see that some
the seeds had already sprouted. I spread the seed by hand, breaking up the
clumps of wet seed as I went. I over seeded this with a little dry seed and
raked it over. I watered it faithfully. In less than a week I had grass
growing!

According to my buddy, the tannic acid in the tea breaks down the hulls of
the seed and allows the germination to begin at a faster rate. I was very
surprised to see how well it actually worked. I was just wondering if this
is common knowledge or am I onto something new here?