Old 29-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Winston Smith

Default Seeding a New Lawn - Neat Trick

Has anybody else ever done this?

Last year, I repaired a large portion of my lawn after extensive excavation
work was done on my property. A friend told me to brew a strong tea from 10
teabags and combine it in a five gallon bucket with grass seed and enough
tap water to make it mushy. I filled the bucket up with this mixture and
let it sit overnight in the garage. The next mooring I could see that some
the seeds had already sprouted. I spread the seed by hand, breaking up the
clumps of wet seed as I went. I over seeded this with a little dry seed and
raked it over. I watered it faithfully. In less than a week I had grass
growing!

According to my buddy, the tannic acid in the tea breaks down the hulls of
the seed and allows the germination to begin at a faster rate. I was very
surprised to see how well it actually worked. I was just wondering if this
is common knowledge or am I onto something new here?

Old 29-05-2005, 04:26 PM
allegro

On 29/05/2005 10:51 AM Winston Smith wrote:
[...]

What kind of tea did you use? I may give this a try.
Old 29-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Winston Smith

Just plain old tea like Lipton or Red Rose tea. Oh, I forgot to mention I
used a "starter seed" also raked in some "starter fertilizer" along with it.

What kind of tea did you use? I may give this a try.

Old 29-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Steveo

"Winston Smith" wrote:
Just plain old tea like Lipton or Red Rose tea. Oh, I forgot to mention
I used a "starter seed" also

What's a starter seed?
Old 29-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Winston Smith

If I remember correctly it's a mixture of rye, fescue, and some other seeds.
Maybe it's called "landscape mixture". I really can't remember. The bag
is out in my shed. I'll take a look the next time I'm working outside. I'm
obviously not a pro at this. I'm just thankful that I was able to grow some
grass. The tea helped speed up the process and insure some measure of
success. I need all the help I can get.

Old 29-05-2005, 09:07 PM
G Henslee

Winston Smith wrote:
If I remember correctly it's a mixture of rye, fescue, and some other seeds.

pasture...
Old 29-05-2005, 10:16 PM
- Tom -

"Winston Smith" wrote in message
[...]

I've never used the tea but I have soaked the seed to get it started. I
did it at work with ~ 40# of athletic turf seed. Soaked it and left it in
the sack, draining, at the end of a work day to get started the next
morning. Supervisor took me off that task to do something else. Returned to
the task the next day and the seed was uselessly entangled with roots.
Once nature gets going there's no stopping it.

--
Tom

Old 29-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Winston Smith

And what's your point?

Old 05-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Suzy O

I was suspecting that any liquid, nontoxic, of course, would get germination
going. But as Tom points out, it needs to be planted once it starts to
sprout!

Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin
"- Tom -" wrote in message

[...]

Any "trick" questions to ask at garden center... Phrederik Gardening 21 15-09-2003 04:02 PM
What's the trick with cabomba? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 21 25-08-2003 09:32 AM
NEED HELP FOR A MAGIC TRICK Me Texas 0 18-05-2003 09:32 AM
NEED HELP FOR A MAGIC TRICK Rusty Mase Texas 0 12-05-2003 04:32 PM
leak - trick of the trade? Darren Ponds 2 23-04-2003 08:32 PM