Old 30-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Ceri Davies

On 2005-05-29, Mike Lyle wrote:
Ceri Davies wrote:
While it occurred to me that I could simply ask here about every
plant I see and don't recognise, I realise that everyone's time would
be better spent if I went out and bought a book or two on the subject
instead.

Therefore, I'd like to solicit recommendations on books to purchase on
the subject of identification. I'm mainly interested in weeds really,
and am a botanical novice (though am not averse to reading fat books).

Weeds are a purely psychological problem. Richard Fitter et al, _The
Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe_, Collins is my faithful
and battered companion of thirty years: I heartily recommend it. (The
same publisher produces a rather nice little "Gem Guide" if you want
something really small, but I'd go for the bigger one as it's more
nearly complete.)

Thanks to yourself and Kay for the replies; it's nice that they matched
up, and the price on that one is at the more reasonable end of the
options I'd been considering. I'll start with this one.

Cheers,

Ceri
not sure about the former. -- Einstein (attrib.)