Old 29-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Ceri Davies

Default RFS: Plant identification

While it occurred to me that I could simply ask here about every plant I
see and don't recognise, I realise that everyone's time would be better
spent if I went out and bought a book or two on the subject instead.

Therefore, I'd like to solicit recommendations on books to purchase on
the subject of identification. I'm mainly interested in weeds really,
and am a botanical novice (though am not averse to reading fat books).

Ceri
not sure about the former. -- Einstein (attrib.)
Old 29-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Mike Lyle

Ceri Davies wrote:
While it occurred to me that I could simply ask here about every
plant I see and don't recognise, I realise that everyone's time

would
be better spent if I went out and bought a book or two on the

subject
instead.

Therefore, I'd like to solicit recommendations on books to purchase

on
the subject of identification. I'm mainly interested in weeds

really,
and am a botanical novice (though am not averse to reading fat

books).

Weeds are a purely psychological problem. Richard Fitter et al, _The
Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe_, Collins is my faithful
and battered companion of thirty years: I heartily recommend it. (The
same publisher produces a rather nice little "Gem Guide" if you want
something really small, but I'd go for the bigger one as it's more
nearly complete.)

Once you get into it there will certainly be others you'll want; but
I think this is the one to start with: I hope you'll be as happy
together as I've been with mine. I've nearly worn it out, and have
scribbled all over it (things like "martagon lily on road outside
Trelech"), and it seems to like it!

--
Mike.

Old 29-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Kay

In article , Ceri Davies
writes
While it occurred to me that I could simply ask here about every plant I
see and don't recognise, I realise that everyone's time would be better
spent if I went out and bought a book or two on the subject instead.

Therefore, I'd like to solicit recommendations on books to purchase on
the subject of identification. I'm mainly interested in weeds really,
and am a botanical novice (though am not averse to reading fat books).

Guide to Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe, Fitter, Fitter and
Blamey.

Whatever you choose, make sure that the plants are listed according to
their families, and not by colour, season of flowering, or some other
whim of the author. That way, you will soon develop the ability to look
at a flower you have never seen before, and have a pretty good idea of
what family it is in, and that will make life immensely easier.

--
Kay

Old 30-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Ceri Davies

On 2005-05-29, Mike Lyle wrote:
Ceri Davies wrote:
While it occurred to me that I could simply ask here about every
plant I see and don't recognise, I realise that everyone's time would
be better spent if I went out and bought a book or two on the subject
instead.

Therefore, I'd like to solicit recommendations on books to purchase on
the subject of identification. I'm mainly interested in weeds really,
and am a botanical novice (though am not averse to reading fat books).

Weeds are a purely psychological problem. Richard Fitter et al, _The
Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe_, Collins is my faithful
and battered companion of thirty years: I heartily recommend it. (The
same publisher produces a rather nice little "Gem Guide" if you want
something really small, but I'd go for the bigger one as it's more
nearly complete.)

Thanks to yourself and Kay for the replies; it's nice that they matched
up, and the price on that one is at the more reasonable end of the
options I'd been considering. I'll start with this one.

Cheers,