Old 31-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Lynn Coffelt

"omi" wrote in message
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message

Where can I find mitre angles for creating a circular border around
the base of trees? For example, what is the angle cut needed to
create a 7 foot circle, an 8 foot, or 9 foot circle?

Per previous poster, depends on how many "sides" the circle will

have.
A method that seems like it should work is to remember that the number

of
degrees, cut at an angel, in the "n" sided circle must total 180

degrees.
In
other words, a four sided circle (grin) would have each cut made at 45
degrees (180 degrees divided by four). An eight sided circle would have
22.5
degree cuts, six sided circle 30 degrees.
I'm not much of a Gardner nor mathematician, but I believe that

should
work.

Old Chief Lynn

I always thought a circle was was defined as a degenerate ellipse with
coincident foci. Sounds more like like a polygon (or octagon) - Most
certainly an over-engineered tree basin. Why not just lay out the ties and
make the beveled cuts where and at the angles requiired to close the
polygon? Olin

"over-engineered tree basin"? Oh, Olin, are you trying to develop this
promising thread into some kind of practical solution? Where's the sport in
that? (grin)
Old Chief Lynn