Old 01-06-2005, 12:52 AM
San Diego Joe

"John D. Goulden" wrote:

alt.garden.pond.chat is the only pond group I can find my news server, so
I'm going to xpost this to alt.garden.pond.chat and my usual "home" group
rec.aquaria.freshwater.goldfish hoping to get some good advice from both
places...

You should also post to rec.ponds. Be warned however, that the group is
currently being spammed heavily so there is a huge amount of trash to sift
through. If you don't mind giving your killfile a work out you can get very
decent info there.

Our lovely new home has a 5 x 8 nook in the back that just begs for a pond,
and we want to put in a nice little garden pond (say, 120 US gallons or so)
and possibly move some of our indoor goldfish into it. The main problem that
we see is that most of that area is in perpetual shade. In fact, one reason
we want to put a pond there is that even shade-tolerant grass won't grow in
that shady nook

(1) Is such a pond doomed from the start?

No, just a bit limited. That's a pretty small pond, so maybe you could try
planting something like ferns over the pond rather than in it. You wouldn't
be able to plant things like water lilies though.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

"We need to make a sacrifice to the pond gods, find me a young virgin... oh,
and bring something to kill"