Old 01-06-2005, 02:09 AM
Angrie.Woman

"John D. Goulden" wrote in message
alt.garden.pond.chat is the only pond group I can find my news server,

try Google Groups "rec.ponds."

so
I'm going to xpost this to alt.garden.pond.chat and my usual "home" group
rec.aquaria.freshwater.goldfish hoping to get some good advice from both
places...

Our lovely new home has a 5 x 8 nook in the back that just begs for a
pond, and we want to put in a nice little garden pond (say, 120 US gallons
or so) and possibly move some of our indoor goldfish into it. The main
problem that we see is that most of that area is in perpetual shade. In
fact, one reason we want to put a pond there is that even shade-tolerant
grass won't grow in that shady nook

(1) Is such a pond doomed from the start?

Does it get absolutely no light? I had a pond that was in a heavily shaded
back yard, but it did get a little bit of morning sun.

(2) If not, what garden pond plants will survive with only indirect light?

I don't remember now, but there are some shade tolerant plants. I had mine
surrounded with ferns and ivy on the outside. On the inside, I had grasses
plus a few other things...no lilies though. The lilies won't grow with no
light.

The good news is that algae control is a breeze...let me tell ya! I never
had any algae problem at all.