Old 31-05-2005, 10:30 PM
J Jackson

Ben Edgington wrote:
: Hello Urglers,

: I acquired a plum tree along with a house two years ago,
: but it seems to have gone completely bienniel: a huge
: glut two years ago, and not a single plum last year.
: The fruit are just beginning to set this year and it looks
: like another bumper crop.

: I've picked up somewhere that it can be encouraged to
: return to annual production by thinning the fruit. Three
: quick questions:

: - Is this correct?

yes

: - How drastic a thinning should I perform?

very drastic - in a good year thin 70-80% of the fruitlets or even more.
Plum wood is brittle and large crops can snap branches. Also thinning
means the remaining fruit are a good size.

I'd completely remove all fruit from a few branches.

: - Would now be a good time?

anytime in the next few weeks.