Old 28-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Ben Edgington

Default Bienniel plum tree

Hello Urglers,

I acquired a plum tree along with a house two years ago,
but it seems to have gone completely bienniel: a huge
glut two years ago, and not a single plum last year.
The fruit are just beginning to set this year and it looks
like another bumper crop.

I've picked up somewhere that it can be encouraged to
return to annual production by thinning the fruit. Three
quick questions:

- Is this correct?
- How drastic a thinning should I perform?
- Would now be a good time?

Many thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Edgington
Mail to the address above is discarded.
Old 31-05-2005, 10:30 PM
J Jackson

Ben Edgington wrote:
: Hello Urglers,

: I acquired a plum tree along with a house two years ago,
: but it seems to have gone completely bienniel: a huge
: glut two years ago, and not a single plum last year.
: The fruit are just beginning to set this year and it looks
: like another bumper crop.

: I've picked up somewhere that it can be encouraged to
: return to annual production by thinning the fruit. Three
: quick questions:

: - Is this correct?

yes

: - How drastic a thinning should I perform?

very drastic - in a good year thin 70-80% of the fruitlets or even more.
Plum wood is brittle and large crops can snap branches. Also thinning
means the remaining fruit are a good size.

I'd completely remove all fruit from a few branches.

: - Would now be a good time?

anytime in the next few weeks.