Old 29-09-2002, 02:53 PM
Chris Stewart

Default Yew Trees

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
news:OGAl9.307$aK.71887@newsfep2-gui...
If you are not in a hurry you could always grow them from seed for

free.
I've got around 20 plants grown from seed gathered from the yew trees

at
Chatsworth House while on a visit there. They are not particularly fast
growing though, so you would be waiting a few years for them to get to

50cm.

Only if you want to wait 3 years for them to germinate (according to

book).

Art

It was a few years ago, but as I recall mine came up shortly after being
set. I do remember the berries were red, juicy and very sticky when I

picked
them off the tree. I remember squashing them by hand and separating the
seeds from the mush. They were then washed and dried and kept in the

fridge
until being planted the following the Spring.

Much more fun to grow your own plants from seed - especially when you are
guessing how to do it.

I'm still waiting with eager anticipation to find what sort of flower I

got
by crossing two Amaryllis plants several years ago. One was the standard
red, fairly hardy and produced leaves ahead of flowering, the other was

pure
white, somewhat tender (it has since died) and unusually produced its
flowers ahead of producing its leaves. The little bulbs grown from the

cross
breed seeds are getting bigger each year and hopefully will flower soon.

Drakanthus.

Yes I have 4 phormium tenax plants which I have grown from seed - now some 4
years old and growing - I don't know if I'd ever buy them, though - they are
plain janes but I like them!
Chris