Old 01-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Debi JS

Bob,

I am so glad you told me this before I applied the insecticide I purchased
yesterday to the two plants in spike.

The first Stellamizutaara bud opened today, and the Oncidium looks like it
will
begin blooming any day. I would have been very disappointed to miss at least
seeing my first flowers!

I will shelve the insecticide for them until seeing if the insecticidal soap
or Neem oil
work.

Thanks,

Debi

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
Debi,

I recently had spider mites and it was recommended to me by Jerry at
Orchids Limited to use an insecticidal soap to kill them. Use once a week
for three weeks. Don't spray the buds. It caused the buds on a phal of
mine to blast (wilt and drop off).

Check the labels on insecticides for use on orchids and whether it is for
spider mites. The soap is safer.

Bob
"Debi JS" wrote in message
Al and Rambler,

Thanks so much for the advice! I have submerged the pots/medium the
cymbidiums were growing in for a good soak, and have washed and repotted
them in fresh medium. I had already wiped the leaves on the other plants.
I will apply an insecticide after a trip to the store.

I appreciate your help.

Debi

"Al" wrote in message
If the mites are this bad you should go to a garden/nursery store and
pick up something to spray them with. Most insecticides that are
available in you area will have a list of insects that they kill. Most
will not be labeled for orchids, but many have a general catch-all term
"Ornamental plants". Anything that kills mites on Roses, would be
helpful and easy to find. Follow the label directions regarding. Pay
attention to repeat application cycle times.

The exudate on new growths and flower buds is normal on cattleya.
However, mite infestation can also make it happen.

I have a horrible infestation of spider mites in my yard, and they
apparently spread to my cymbidiums which I was growing on a patio.