Old 01-06-2005, 01:43 PM

granite grit (like for pigeons) is cheap and works well. it provides good drainage
when mixed into soil anyway. with a lot of slugs it is better to use no mulch of any
kind. here is site with more ideas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2876862
"The toad is the slug's worst enemy, although there are other things that eat slugs
and snails. Ground beetles, slow-worms and frogs, even centipedes will eat them, as
well as birds. Put in a wildlife pond if you can, or simply provide a container with
water - as long as the toads have access, they will come, bringing frogs with them.
It will also encourage birds to visit your garden more often.

Ground beetles share the same habitat as slugs; moist areas that are protected from
the sun during the day. Provide stone slabs, pieces of wood, and other moist areas
for them to shelter under. This will also encourage hedgehogs, which eat slugs.

To make it easy for birds to eat them, place citrus peel or melon rinds around the
garden in the evening. The slugs will be attracted by any seeds remaining, and will
stay under as daylight comes. Turn the peel or rind over in the morning to display
the sheltering slugs to birds. Birds will also eat the eggs, so raking the garden can
expose them. The majority hatch in spring, although eggs are laid all year round.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE