Old 01-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Pat Kiewicz

BenGman said:

I have these black spots on my vegetables, especially tomatoes and
squashes

Small black/dark spots, mostly on tender young growth? Could be the
four-lined plant bug.

Just noticed some damage out in my garden the other day.

http://www.vegedge.umn.edu/vegpest/cucs/4line.htm

"The spot damage inflicted by four-lined plant bugs may be misidentified
as fungal disease spots because of their comparable appearances. The
agility of this bug contributes to this misidentification because when
disturbed, the four-lined plant bug will drop to the ground or will hide
and is therefore rarely seen. In addition, when the damaged portion of
the leaf fall out, a shot hole will remain that looks similar to fungal
disease."

(attributed to Don Marti)