Old 01-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Gail Futoran

"Helen, EA in PA" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gail, can I assume that Dr. Huey is a red rose, not a lot of petals and
a "ragged" leaf?

It almost killed me to cut off the suckers and toss them, but I want to
keep my garden clear.

Helen

My Dr Huey sprawls, like a climber or rambler, gets
lots of smallish red roses, no scent, else looks like
any other rambler/climber. There are a number of
different rootstock roses. Dr. Huey is very common
but you might well have a different rootstock.

The point is, if something is growing from *below*
the bud union, it *is* rootstock, whatever kind, and
should be eliminated, else it will kill off the
desirable rose growing above the bud union.

Gail