Old 28-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Helen, EA in PA

Default Red roses on John F Kennedy and Sultry

Last year, I had small red roses branching off of my John F. Kennedy
rose (which we all know is white). This year, I have the same
branching off of my Sultry (which is more melon). The Sultry, I might
be able to understand, if it was hybirded with a red rose, but red and
white on the same bush? The share the same bed, but are at least 8
feet apart and none of the others are doing it, at least not yet!

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks!
Helen

Old 29-05-2005, 03:28 PM

LOL! My mom told me a very interesting story about birds and bees
once... The interesting thing to me is to have had the experience TWICE
in your rose garden history! I'm a newbie tho so perhaps its more common
than I realize? I'd say you're blessed!

Old 29-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
LOL! My mom told me a very interesting story about birds and bees
once... The interesting thing to me is to have had the experience TWICE
in your rose garden history! I'm a newbie tho so perhaps its more common
than I realize? I'd say you're blessed!

Only if you desire a garden full of Dr. Huey. I have
a Dr. Huey that killed off the "top" rose and I enjoy
that Dr. Huey (I didn't know then about the problem
of reversion) - but I don't want a garden full of them.

Gail

Old 30-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Helen, EA in PA

Gail, can I assume that Dr. Huey is a red rose, not a lot of petals and
a "ragged" leaf?

It almost killed me to cut off the suckers and toss them, but I want to
keep my garden clear.

Helen

Old 31-05-2005, 04:30 AM
JimS.

"Helen, EA in PA" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gail, can I assume that Dr. Huey is a red rose, not a lot of petals and
a "ragged" leaf?

It almost killed me to cut off the suckers and toss them, but I want to
keep my garden clear.

Helen

Helen, here are some pictures of Dr. Huey.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?i=A1550&tab=10

Strange coincidence, but now I think I've got one coming up too. I had dug
up a Climbing Blaze and left it in water for more than a year. It was
actually growing pretty well in the water. I finally decided that since it
hung on so well, it deserved dirt. Naturally, as soon as I took it out of
water and planted it, it proceeded to croak. Just when I thought it was a
gone-er, out of nowhere I get several basel breaks, and I think it might be
from the rootstock.

BTW, Helen, there are other roses that are used as rootstocks, so yours
might have been one of those instead of Dr. Huey.

Gail-- the comments on Helpmefind.com say that Dr. Huey is terrible for
powdery mildew. How has your Dr. Huey been for disease? Mine is planted
right next to a trellis with 3 Climbing Blazes closely planted together.
I'm wondering if maybe I might want to dig it up, if it turns out to be
Huey...? I don't want it to be ruining my other roses if it's a disease
magnet...?

JimS.
Seattle

Old 31-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Helen, EA in PA

JimS. wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jim, looks like Doc Huey is exactly what I have coming in.

Helen

Old 01-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Gail Futoran

"Helen, EA in PA" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gail, can I assume that Dr. Huey is a red rose, not a lot of petals and
a "ragged" leaf?

It almost killed me to cut off the suckers and toss them, but I want to
keep my garden clear.

Helen

My Dr Huey sprawls, like a climber or rambler, gets
lots of smallish red roses, no scent, else looks like
any other rambler/climber. There are a number of
different rootstock roses. Dr. Huey is very common
but you might well have a different rootstock.

The point is, if something is growing from *below*
the bud union, it *is* rootstock, whatever kind, and
should be eliminated, else it will kill off the
desirable rose growing above the bud union.

Gail

Old 01-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Gail Futoran

"JimS." wrote
[snip]
Gail-- the comments on Helpmefind.com say that Dr. Huey is terrible for
powdery mildew. How has your Dr. Huey been for disease? Mine is planted
right next to a trellis with 3 Climbing Blazes closely planted together.
I'm wondering if maybe I might want to dig it up, if it turns out to be
Huey...? I don't want it to be ruining my other roses if it's a disease
magnet...?

JimS.
Seattle

Hi Jim - I've noticed no problems of any kind with
my Dr. Huey but out of about 150 roses of all kinds
in my garden, I've only seen powdery mildew on one
rose, and not every year. The only common disease I
get regularly is blackspot, and I ignore that because it
doesn't seem to bother anything. I.e., the
environmental conditions around here seem to be
quite good for roses.

Gail

Old 01-06-2005, 02:58 PM
JimS.

[...]

Thanks....I'm going to let mine go and see how it turns out. I'm still not
sure if it's rootstock or scion, it's RIGHT AT the bud, so it could go
either way. I don't have any other Dr. Hueys (or whaterver it is) so might
as well have one. It survived the winter in a bucket of water, so I guess
it deserves to live!

JimS.