Old 01-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
|
| I strongly advise against both of those. Trolleys need a LOT more
| space,
|
| you must be thinking of different trolleys to the one I have which when
| takes up no more space than a builders barrow and if you need to it can be
| easily stood on end, in which case it will take up less space than a barrow.

I defy you to wheel a trolley through a 12" gap without damaging
the plants either side.

| Some of us do have large gardens and painful conditions which means that
| anything which helps us to carry on gardening without hurting or straining
| ourselves is good.

As I said, "the occasional garden". Perhaps I should also have said
"a few gardeners who can't handle a wheelbarrow". However, you
do then have to ensure plenty of open space to move the thing around.

| But only if the user is tall and strong. For small women it often means that
| the legs do not come off the ground when the handles are grasped and when
| laden, the effort of lifting and pushing at the same is simply too hard.

Not at all. Modern wheelbarrows and tolleys are a pain in the back
for anyone tall, because they are so low. You CERTAINLY don't need
to be strong for a wheelbarrow, and I am not, but I agree that you
can't be definitely weak.

| To use a barrow, I (5' 2") have to grasp the handles, bend my elbows to
| raise the legs off the ground, and then with elbows bent, push the thing too
| making the job in hand most unpleasant. I love my garden cart/trolley and
| consider it to be money well spent.

I am 6'2" and have the opposite problem. At least I CAN wheel a
wheelbarrow. Most trolleys just bottom at the far end when I
stand up - and I can assure you that wheeling one stooped is FAR
more of a problem than doing so with elbows bent.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.