Old 01-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
|
| I strongly advise against both of those. Trolleys need a LOT more
| space,
|
| you must be thinking of different trolleys to the one I have which when
| takes up no more space than a builders barrow and if you need to it can be
| easily stood on end, in which case it will take up less space than a barrow.

I defy you to wheel a trolley through a 12" gap without damaging
the plants either side.

| Some of us do have large gardens and painful conditions which means that
| anything which helps us to carry on gardening without hurting or straining
| ourselves is good.

As I said, "the occasional garden". Perhaps I should also have said
"a few gardeners who can't handle a wheelbarrow". However, you
do then have to ensure plenty of open space to move the thing around.

| But only if the user is tall and strong. For small women it often means that
| the legs do not come off the ground when the handles are grasped and when
| laden, the effort of lifting and pushing at the same is simply too hard.

Not at all. Modern wheelbarrows and tolleys are a pain in the back
for anyone tall, because they are so low. You CERTAINLY don't need
to be strong for a wheelbarrow, and I am not, but I agree that you
can't be definitely weak.

| To use a barrow, I (5' 2") have to grasp the handles, bend my elbows to
| raise the legs off the ground, and then with elbows bent, push the thing too
| making the job in hand most unpleasant. I love my garden cart/trolley and
| consider it to be money well spent.

I am 6'2" and have the opposite problem. At least I CAN wheel a
wheelbarrow. Most trolleys just bottom at the far end when I
stand up - and I can assure you that wheeling one stooped is FAR
more of a problem than doing so with elbows bent.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:24 AM

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Not at all. Modern wheelbarrows and tolleys are a pain in the back
for anyone tall, because they are so low.

I'm 6'4" and agree with all that. Trollies /have/ to get thier handles
extended upwards, and wheelbarrows are tipped up too much. On top of
that, wheelbarrow handles are now so short that I bank my shins on the
back of the body while I walk!

I've had a pressed steel builder's barrow, and changed it for a welded
one. I put blocks under the bearings to get the frame an inch higher,
so the nose did not keep banging into steps, and added extensions to
the rear legs. I welded on longer handles so I stand further back.

My advice:
1. Avoid pressed steel bodies.
2. Avoid self-assembly barrows where bolts pass through holes in the
tubular frame. They weaken the frame too badly.
3. Avoid anything with frame tube smaller than about 45mm dia.
4. Avoid solid tyred wheels.
5. Avoid pushed-on moulded handgrips. They come off as easily as they
go on.

6. Look for sealed roller bearings in the axle
7. Look for reinforced ends on the rear legs, not just bent tube.
8. Look for a reinforced rim on the body.

Need help finding a Henri water wheel. Lighted water wheel DD DDD Ponds 0 19-08-2005 04:34 AM
Re(2): High Wheel Cultivators Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 1 09-10-2003 06:42 AM
High Wheel Cultivators Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 5 08-10-2003 07:05 AM
Mower Wheel Removal Help! Niel Lawns 1 07-09-2003 02:06 AM
Wheel Replacement on Mountfield M3 Lawnmower Chris United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 09:20 AM