Old 01-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Koi4Me

"mark Bannister" wrote in message

==========================
I live in the boondocks since 1979 and find the coyotes are shy and more
fearful than the fox. Fox can be pretty bold especially if you have
poultry. We see more fox than coyotes. Since new homes have been built

in
this area, along my road, I don't see coyotes anymore.

Maybe because of our dogs they stayed away from the ponds.

Both foxes and coyotes will become tame VERY easily. Foxes will come
and beg. Big problem with foxes is rabies. Coyotes will eat your pets
(dogs included). Both I think would eat a fish if they could catch
them. Pretty much omnivores like dogs.
We have both in our neighborhood (bobcats too) and we live in the city,
although our neighborhood backs up to a small mountain and forest.

==============================
Rabies *is* a problem where I live. I haven't heard much about rabid foxes
but the skunks are big carriers here. As for the coyotes. I've only seen
them singly. Once I once saw a pair. Two of my dogs are quite large. One,
the Doberman, is 96 lbs, the other, a cross-breed is 110 lbs. The little
guy is only 26 lbs but tough as nails. Our closest neighbor has two large
male German Shepherds. I think the coyotes will probably seek smaller dogs
to snack on. :-)

Also - we have a fence around most of our property which would also
discourage coyotes. We have bobcats here as well but never see them. We do
hear them occasionally and see tracks down by the lake. We also have deer,
possums, turkeys, quail, rabbits, groundhogs, cranes, Kingfishers, herons,
hawks all kinds of frogs, turtles and lizards. It's a ZOO out there! :-D
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.