Old 01-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Doug Quarnstrom

Default foxes and coyotes

Does anybody here know if foxes and coyotes will fish for koi?

doug
Old 01-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Koi4Me

"Doug Quarnstrom" wrote in message
Does anybody here know if foxes and coyotes will fish for koi?

doug

====================
We had both of these canines here and they never bothered my ponds. We
still have red and blue fox. Raccoons and neighbor's dogs would sometimes
knock over the plants at the shallow end of one pond before we netted the
ponds.
--
Koi4Me.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Doug Quarnstrom wrote:

Does anybody here know if foxes and coyotes will fish for koi?

I would have thought foxes, probably, but not coyotes. However:
http://tinyurl.com/9gvhf and http://tinyurl.com/9468t say coyotes will eat
fish. Google shows plenty of references to fish in fox diets.

Foxes are probably more likely to be around home ponds, but if you're rural
or close to any decent sized green space, coyotes can't be ruled out.
--
derek
Old 01-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Koi4Me

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Doug Quarnstrom wrote:

Does anybody here know if foxes and coyotes will fish for koi?

I would have thought foxes, probably, but not coyotes. However:
http://tinyurl.com/9gvhf and http://tinyurl.com/9468t say coyotes will eat
fish. Google shows plenty of references to fish in fox diets.

Foxes are probably more likely to be around home ponds, but if you're

rural
or close to any decent sized green space, coyotes can't be ruled out.
--
derek

==========================
I live in the boondocks since 1979 and find the coyotes are shy and more
fearful than the fox. Fox can be pretty bold especially if you have
poultry. We see more fox than coyotes. Since new homes have been built in
this area, along my road, I don't see coyotes anymore.

Maybe because of our dogs they stayed away from the ponds.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:55 PM
mark Bannister

==========================
I live in the boondocks since 1979 and find the coyotes are shy and more
fearful than the fox. Fox can be pretty bold especially if you have
poultry. We see more fox than coyotes. Since new homes have been built in
this area, along my road, I don't see coyotes anymore.

Maybe because of our dogs they stayed away from the ponds.

Both foxes and coyotes will become tame VERY easily. Foxes will come
and beg. Big problem with foxes is rabies. Coyotes will eat your pets
(dogs included). Both I think would eat a fish if they could catch
them. Pretty much omnivores like dogs.
We have both in our neighborhood (bobcats too) and we live in the city,
although our neighborhood backs up to a small mountain and forest.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Koi4Me

"mark Bannister" wrote in message

==========================
I live in the boondocks since 1979 and find the coyotes are shy and more
fearful than the fox. Fox can be pretty bold especially if you have
poultry. We see more fox than coyotes. Since new homes have been built

in
this area, along my road, I don't see coyotes anymore.

Maybe because of our dogs they stayed away from the ponds.

Both foxes and coyotes will become tame VERY easily. Foxes will come
and beg. Big problem with foxes is rabies. Coyotes will eat your pets
(dogs included). Both I think would eat a fish if they could catch
them. Pretty much omnivores like dogs.
We have both in our neighborhood (bobcats too) and we live in the city,
although our neighborhood backs up to a small mountain and forest.

==============================
Rabies *is* a problem where I live. I haven't heard much about rabid foxes
but the skunks are big carriers here. As for the coyotes. I've only seen
them singly. Once I once saw a pair. Two of my dogs are quite large. One,
the Doberman, is 96 lbs, the other, a cross-breed is 110 lbs. The little
guy is only 26 lbs but tough as nails. Our closest neighbor has two large
male German Shepherds. I think the coyotes will probably seek smaller dogs
to snack on. :-)

Also - we have a fence around most of our property which would also
discourage coyotes. We have bobcats here as well but never see them. We do
hear them occasionally and see tracks down by the lake. We also have deer,
possums, turkeys, quail, rabbits, groundhogs, cranes, Kingfishers, herons,
hawks all kinds of frogs, turtles and lizards. It's a ZOO out there! :-D
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Derek Broughton

mark Bannister wrote:

I live in the boondocks since 1979 and find the coyotes are shy and more
fearful than the fox. Fox can be pretty bold especially if you have
poultry. We see more fox than coyotes. Since new homes have been built
in this area, along my road, I don't see coyotes anymore.

Maybe because of our dogs they stayed away from the ponds.

Both foxes and coyotes will become tame VERY easily. Foxes will come
and beg. Big problem with foxes is rabies. Coyotes will eat your pets
(dogs included). Both I think would eat a fish if they could catch
them. Pretty much omnivores like dogs.
We have both in our neighborhood (bobcats too) and we live in the city,
although our neighborhood backs up to a small mountain and forest.

Just about every place in Eastern North America has coyotes now. I've seen
more in the village near where I live than in my rural back yard (though I
hear them often). They're not scared of much - which is probably why they
have moved east from the Great Plains. They've taken over the territories
once occupied by wolves, and then some. Foxes are truly urban scavengers,
now, though. Coyotes still need some green space (but a large park is
enough).

It takes _big_ dogs to scare off coyotes. I worry about my schnauzer (who,
fortunately, doesn't like to be more than a few feet from me).
--
derek
Old 01-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Doug Quarnstrom

Derek Broughton ) wrote:
: Doug Quarnstrom wrote:

: Does anybody here know if foxes and coyotes will fish for koi?

: I would have thought foxes, probably, but not coyotes. However:
: http://tinyurl.com/9gvhf and http://tinyurl.com/9468t say coyotes will eat
: fish. Google shows plenty of references to fish in fox diets.

: Foxes are probably more likely to be around home ponds, but if you're rural
: or close to any decent sized green space, coyotes can't be ruled out.
: --
: derek

Well, I asked, because we bought some property that backs onto a natural
wetlands. I was talking to one of the future neighbors last night and
he said the coyotes put up a bit of a racket every night. So I know
they are there.

doug
Old 01-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Koi4Me

"Maxx Pollare" wrote in message
t...
The voice of "mark Bannister" drifted in on the cyber-winds,
from the sea of virtual chaos...

Both foxes and coyotes will become tame VERY easily. Foxes will
come and beg.

Taken by my roommate last winter:
http://www.dragonfur.ca/nowhere/jacket/fox.jpg
http://www.dragonfur.ca/nowhere/jacket/fox2.jpg
http://www.dragonfur.ca/nowhere/jacket/fox3.jpg
http://www.dragonfur.ca/nowhere/jacket/fox4.jpg

Coyotes will eat your pets (dogs included).

### I'm getting this error: HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer

Foxes will too... If they're hungry enought.
It's not uncommon to see a fox or two carring off somebodies cat in mid
winter up here. It's just far easier when hunt thing that show just as
much an intrest in you... };8)

### We suspect they're the reason our cats always vanished. No more cats
for us.......

Maxx Pollare, a "small god" in his own mind...

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Andy Hill

"Koi4Me" wrote:
"Maxx Pollare" wrote in message
et...
The voice of "mark Bannister" drifted in on the cyber-winds,
from the sea of virtual chaos...

Both foxes and coyotes will become tame VERY easily. Foxes will
come and beg.

Taken by my roommate last winter:
http://www.dragonfur.ca/nowhere/jacket/fox.jpg
http://www.dragonfur.ca/nowhere/jacket/fox2.jpg
http://www.dragonfur.ca/nowhere/jacket/fox3.jpg
http://www.dragonfur.ca/nowhere/jacket/fox4.jpg

Coyotes will eat your pets (dogs included).

### I'm getting this error: HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer

That's because the location is http://www.dragonfur.ca/nowhere/ponds/fox.jpg ,
etc. ("ponds" not "jacket").

Old 02-06-2005, 02:50 AM