Old 02-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Gene

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:58:51 GMT, geezer wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:10:39 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

In general the battery should show 12.6 volts if it is fully charged and has
been sitting for a while. While the battery is charging with the motor
running it should show between 13 and 14 volts, normally closer to 14 volts
maybe more at high motor speeds. You may need to check your meter with your
car to see if it is accurate. Showing 10 volts could be a shorted cell in
the battery or a very weak one. It takes more than 12.6 volts with a
running motor to charge a battery.

I know my meter is accurate - I use it frequently on the car - golf
car etc. The battery is one of those 'no' maintenance types, so I
have no access to the cells. Since I do not get 13-14 volts with
motor running, I have to assume no charge is occurring. Right now the
battery is sitting disconnected. I want to see if there is a drain I
don't know about.

Could be...I had a car that the diode blew and even sititng the darn
thing would drain the battery...