Old 03-06-2005, 01:59 AM
andrewpreece

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
We have just had our chimney swept (real coal fire, not smokeless fuel)

and
the sweep has left us a bag of soot.

Is there any way this can be used on the garden?

Jeanne

I have an old gardening book which I cannot access right at the moment
but I remember that soot was indeed used, though I cannot remember
exactly what for. I have an idea it was good against pests and disease.
I will quote the book if I can remember to dig it out tomorrow.

However, I can tell you that soot contains nitrogen, though little else,
so it can be used as a topdresing fertiliser, has a quick action, at the
rate 4oz/sq.yd, but should be weathered before use ( presumably to get
rid of the nasty components it contains ).

Andy.