Old 02-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

Default Coal Soot

We have just had our chimney swept (real coal fire, not smokeless fuel) and
the sweep has left us a bag of soot.

Is there any way this can be used on the garden?

Jeanne

Old 03-06-2005, 01:59 AM
andrewpreece

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
We have just had our chimney swept (real coal fire, not smokeless fuel)

and
the sweep has left us a bag of soot.

Is there any way this can be used on the garden?

Jeanne

I have an old gardening book which I cannot access right at the moment
but I remember that soot was indeed used, though I cannot remember
exactly what for. I have an idea it was good against pests and disease.
I will quote the book if I can remember to dig it out tomorrow.

However, I can tell you that soot contains nitrogen, though little else,
so it can be used as a topdresing fertiliser, has a quick action, at the
rate 4oz/sq.yd, but should be weathered before use ( presumably to get
rid of the nasty components it contains ).

Andy.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Kevin Groves

The garden of my last house had deep black soil, quite different from
the houses around it and the neighbours said it used to belong to a
sweep who would dump the soot on it.

I didnt complain as I could grow stuff the the neighbours couldnt!

Kev,
Old 03-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Jupiter

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 01:59:06 +0100, "andrewpreece"
wrote:

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
We have just had our chimney swept (real coal fire, not smokeless fuel)

and
the sweep has left us a bag of soot.

Is there any way this can be used on the garden?

Jeanne

I have an old gardening book which I cannot access right at the moment
but I remember that soot was indeed used, though I cannot remember
exactly what for. I have an idea it was good against pests and disease.
I will quote the book if I can remember to dig it out tomorrow.

However, I can tell you that soot contains nitrogen, though little else,
so it can be used as a topdresing fertiliser, has a quick action, at the
rate 4oz/sq.yd, but should be weathered before use ( presumably to get
rid of the nasty components it contains ).

Andy.

From the Amateur Gardening Pocket Guide (1941) :-

A good sample may contain as much as 6% nitrogen in the form of
sulphate of ammonia. Fresh soot is rather caustic and may be used as
a soil fumigant to destroy insects and slugs. For use as a fertilizer
it is best stored in the dry for three or four months. If exposed to
rain or mixed with lime it quickly loses its value, though lime makes
it more effective as a soil fumigant. Soot also enables soil to absorb
sun heat more readily. Rate of application up to 6oz. per square yard.
May be used at any time.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:29 PM
andrewpreece

"Tone" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:50:29 +0000 (UTC), " Jeanne Stockdale"
wrote:

We have just had our chimney swept (real coal fire, not smokeless fuel)

and
the sweep has left us a bag of soot.

Is there any way this can be used on the garden?

Jeanne

Put it around yer roses

--

Just livin the Vida Sofa

Apparently it is good as a lawn dressing, and greens up the grass quickly.
Otherwise, looking in my 1930's gardening book, it is as the other posts
suggest,
store it in the dry for a while before use, except if using it as an
insecticide. It
can be used with lime for instance against carrot fly. The amount of
nitrogen
in it is not all that great according to the book, but I guess every little
helps.

Andy.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Harold Walker

wrote:

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
We have just had our chimney swept (real coal fire, not smokeless fuel)

and
the sweep has left us a bag of soot.

Is there any way this can be used on the garden?

Jeanne

I have an old gardening book which I cannot access right at the moment
but I remember that soot was indeed used, though I cannot remember
exactly what for. I have an idea it was good against pests and disease.
I will quote the book if I can remember to dig it out tomorrow.

However, I can tell you that soot contains nitrogen, though little else,
so it can be used as a topdresing fertiliser, has a quick action, at the
rate 4oz/sq.yd, but should be weathered before use ( presumably to get
rid of the nasty components it contains ).

Andy.

From the Amateur Gardening Pocket Guide (1941) :-

A good sample may contain as much as 6% nitrogen in the form of
sulphate of ammonia. Fresh soot is rather caustic and may be used as
a soil fumigant to destroy insects and slugs. For use as a fertilizer
it is best stored in the dry for three or four months. If exposed to
rain or mixed with lime it quickly loses its value, though lime makes
it more effective as a soil fumigant. Soot also enables soil to absorb
sun heat more readily. Rate of application up to 6oz. per square yard.
May be used at any time.

Curiosity...could that pocket gide be a small green book about 2 3/4 x 3 3/4
inches in size and with 336 pages....I have one as well....one I gave to Dad
back in the 40's and he in turn gave it to me later in life......cost five
shillings....I refer to it often....except for new plants etc. very little
has changed in gardening....maybe this day and age folk
have their soil tested for pH with kits etc. whereas the likes of dad used
to taste the soil and "act accordingly"...HW

Old 04-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Jupiter

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:35:59 -0400, "Harold Walker"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
We have just had our chimney swept (real coal fire, not smokeless fuel)
and
the sweep has left us a bag of soot.

Is there any way this can be used on the garden?

Jeanne

I have an old gardening book which I cannot access right at the moment
but I remember that soot was indeed used, though I cannot remember
exactly what for. I have an idea it was good against pests and disease.
I will quote the book if I can remember to dig it out tomorrow.

However, I can tell you that soot contains nitrogen, though little else,
so it can be used as a topdresing fertiliser, has a quick action, at the
rate 4oz/sq.yd, but should be weathered before use ( presumably to get
rid of the nasty components it contains ).

Andy.

From the Amateur Gardening Pocket Guide (1941) :-

[...]

That's the one - mine's a 1971 revision (still with 336 pages).
Compiler was A.G.L. Hellyer, M.B.E., F.I.S., V.M.H.
Very useful reference!

Old 04-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Harold Walker

"Jupiter" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:35:59 -0400, "Harold Walker"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
We have just had our chimney swept (real coal fire, not smokeless
fuel)
and
the sweep has left us a bag of soot.

Is there any way this can be used on the garden?

Jeanne

I have an old gardening book which I cannot access right at the moment
but I remember that soot was indeed used, though I cannot remember
exactly what for. I have an idea it was good against pests and disease.
I will quote the book if I can remember to dig it out tomorrow.

However, I can tell you that soot contains nitrogen, though little else,
so it can be used as a topdresing fertiliser, has a quick action, at the
rate 4oz/sq.yd, but should be weathered before use ( presumably to get
rid of the nasty components it contains ).

Andy.

From the Amateur Gardening Pocket Guide (1941) :-

[...]

Mine is the 1947 revision....one of my best references.....H

Old 04-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Mike Lyle

Harold Walker wrote:
"Jupiter" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:35:59 -0400, "Harold Walker"
wrote:

"Jupiter" wrote

[...]
From the Amateur Gardening Pocket Guide (1941) :-

[...]

Curiosity...could that pocket gide be a small green book about 2
3/4 x 3 3/4
inches in size and with 336 pages....I have one as well....one I
gave to Dad
back in the 40's and he in turn gave it to me later in
life......cost five shillings....I refer to it often....except

for
new plants etc. very little has changed in gardening....maybe

this
day and age folk
have their soil tested for pH with kits etc. whereas the likes of
dad used
to taste the soil and "act accordingly"...HW

That's the one - mine's a 1971 revision (still with 336 pages).
Compiler was A.G.L. Hellyer, M.B.E., F.I.S., V.M.H.
Very useful reference!

Mine is the 1947 revision....one of my best references.....H

If it's got Hellyer's name on it, it needs no other recommendation.
First-rate.

--
Mike.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Harold Walker

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Harold Walker wrote:
"Jupiter" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:35:59 -0400, "Harold Walker"
wrote:

"Jupiter" wrote

[...]
From the Amateur Gardening Pocket Guide (1941) :-

[...]

[...]

It does indeed and I totally agree..H

Old 05-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Chris Hogg

wrote:

We have just had our chimney swept (real coal fire, not smokeless fuel) and
the sweep has left us a bag of soot.

Is there any way this can be used on the garden?

Jeanne

Although widely used as a soil additive and fertiliser in the past
(note the publication dates on the handbooks mentioned elsewhere in
this thread), ISTR that coal soot can/does contain heavy metal
residues, so perhaps you should keep it away from your veggies.

--
Chris

Old 06-06-2005, 12:44 PM
shazzbat

wrote:

We have just had our chimney swept (real coal fire, not smokeless fuel)

and
the sweep has left us a bag of soot.

Is there any way this can be used on the garden?

Jeanne

Although widely used as a soil additive and fertiliser in the past
(note the publication dates on the handbooks mentioned elsewhere in
this thread), ISTR that coal soot can/does contain heavy metal
residues, so perhaps you should keep it away from your veggies.

My dad used to say that it didn't do the garden much good, but it didn't do
much harm either. He was adamant that the practice of putting it on the
garden was a get-out for chimney sweeps so they didn't have to bother with
its disposal. They would say "want the soot for yer garden missis?" and
people would think he was doing them a favour.

Steve

Old 06-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

We have just had our chimney swept (real coal fire, not smokeless
fuel) and the sweep has left us a bag of soot.

Is there any way this can be used on the garden?

Jeanne

Although widely used as a soil additive and fertiliser in the past
(note the publication dates on the handbooks mentioned elsewhere

in
this thread), ISTR that coal soot can/does contain heavy metal
residues, so perhaps you should keep it away from your veggies.

My dad used to say that it didn't do the garden much good, but it
didn't do much harm either. He was adamant that the practice of
putting it on the garden was a get-out for chimney sweeps so they
didn't have to bother with its disposal. They would say "want the
soot for yer garden missis?" and people would think he was doing
them a favour.

There is the sulphur problem: I believe some coal has a high sulphur
content. This would be an ally against fungi and some pests, but I'm
not sure how much good it does the soil -- too much would be bad, but
I don't know how much is too much.

Passing the windswept thinly-grassed hillsides in a former
coal-mining area in the school trip coach, I suggested reclaiming it
might be the next challenge for a very progressive farmer friend, and
he commented in negative tones that the ground must be full of
sulphur. He's the kind of bloke you listen to. (I nodded wisely; but
twenty years younger, and I'd love a crack at it myself: I reckon
several generations of sheep and some hedges and trees would sort it
out in the end).

--
Mike.

Coal Dust? George Robinson United Kingdom 4 21-06-2006 02:42 PM
Coal Ash help please. Cumberpach United Kingdom 7 08-04-2004 11:04 AM
Coal Ash? Wrench Edible Gardening 9 02-02-2004 07:43 PM
coal bunker as compost heap? SarahH United Kingdom 13 14-09-2003 11:05 PM
Coal in the garden John Rouse United Kingdom 1 29-07-2003 02:02 PM