Old 03-06-2005, 11:21 AM
sarasara sarasara is offline
Registered User

Question low growing hedge for privacy in winter?

I am renting a house that has large overwintering cattle barns overlooking it above a slope rising from the back of the garden.

I have no privacy at the back and so would like to grow a hedge at the top of the garden below the wall to hide the farmyard.

Naturally I dont want an anti-social one that grows too high (also cutting the hedge back every year is out of the question as I cant do it myself and there is no one else to do so in this remote place).

I want a hedge that cannot be looked through (possibly evergreen), preferably native and fast growing but growing to a full height of only 10 to 15 feet.

A number of friends suggested laurel but that grows to 40/50 feet!

Other suggested various conifers but I feel they are depressing to look out on and foreign but if there was a low one I might settle for it....not my preference though.

I really wanted rhododendrums but I am told that they grow too slowly.

I need the privacy in the winter when the tractors are in the yard above so the hedge needs to be thick.
Grateful for advice,
Thanks,