Old 03-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Winston Smith

I used "stump rot" on a large stump in my yard. It's a chemical solution to
for removal. You drill 1" holes deep into the stumps and fill them with the
"stump rot" powder and water. This breaks down the wood fibers. This
process is repeated throughout the next year. After the chemical has a
chance to work, you start filling holes with kerosene and allowing it to
soak into the wood. This process is repeated for about a month. When the
stump is saturated with kerosene, you cover it with charcoal briquettes,
start a fire, and allow it to smolder for the next several days. The wood
will burn below grade and the visible part of burnt stump can be removed
with an axe and a shovel. It's not an instant solution but it's inexpensive
and it works.

"Spike" wrote in message
I had about a dozen trees taken out a few years ago for a pool area.
Stumps
were ground and planted grass. I recently had a couple other trees taken
out, but prefer not to have a machine back in that area again. I have two
stumps that are flush with the ground.

Anyone ever do anything useful with a tree stump? Stick a lawn ornament
or
something on top? Any ideas how to decorate the area until the stump
rots?

Crazy thought, but I know there are creative minds out here.