Old 03-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Spike

Default Useful tree stumps?

I had about a dozen trees taken out a few years ago for a pool area. Stumps
were ground and planted grass. I recently had a couple other trees taken
out, but prefer not to have a machine back in that area again. I have two
stumps that are flush with the ground.

Anyone ever do anything useful with a tree stump? Stick a lawn ornament or
something on top? Any ideas how to decorate the area until the stump rots?

Crazy thought, but I know there are creative minds out here.

Old 03-06-2005, 03:49 AM
JoeT

"Spike" wrote in message
I had about a dozen trees taken out a few years ago for a pool area.
Stumps
were ground and planted grass. I recently had a couple other trees taken
out, but prefer not to have a machine back in that area again. I have two
stumps that are flush with the ground.

Anyone ever do anything useful with a tree stump? Stick a lawn ornament
or
something on top? Any ideas how to decorate the area until the stump
rots?

Crazy thought, but I know there are creative minds out here.

There are people out there that can use a chain saw to carve them into
whatever you'd like but it sounds like you already removed too much of the
trunk for that.. lol

Old 03-06-2005, 03:56 AM

"Spike" wrote in message
I had about a dozen trees taken out a few years ago for a pool area.

Stumps
were ground and planted grass. I recently had a couple other trees taken
out, but prefer not to have a machine back in that area again. I have two
stumps that are flush with the ground.

Anyone ever do anything useful with a tree stump? Stick a lawn ornament

or
something on top? Any ideas how to decorate the area until the stump

rots?

I'd use it to mount something such as a pedestal table or umbrella.

^^

Old 03-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Dick Adams

Spike wrote:
I had about a dozen trees taken out a few years ago for a pool area.
Stumps were ground and planted grass. I recently had a couple other
trees taken out, but prefer not to have a machine back in that area
again. I have two stumps that are flush with the ground.

Anyone ever do anything useful with a tree stump? Stick a lawn
ornament or something on top? Any ideas how to decorate the area
until the stump rots?

Crazy thought, but I know there are creative minds out here.

I dislike grinding stumps because as the roots rot out the area
above them drops.

But you made a decision. My advice to you is to get a 2" wood drill
bit and drill several holes into the stump as deep as you can. Soak
the stumps with water, pack the holes with rock salt, and tie ground
cover over the stumps. For decorative purposes, put chairs over the
stumps.

I made my teenaged son dig them out.

Dick

Old 03-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Winston Smith

I used "stump rot" on a large stump in my yard. It's a chemical solution to
for removal. You drill 1" holes deep into the stumps and fill them with the
"stump rot" powder and water. This breaks down the wood fibers. This
process is repeated throughout the next year. After the chemical has a
chance to work, you start filling holes with kerosene and allowing it to
soak into the wood. This process is repeated for about a month. When the
stump is saturated with kerosene, you cover it with charcoal briquettes,
start a fire, and allow it to smolder for the next several days. The wood
will burn below grade and the visible part of burnt stump can be removed
with an axe and a shovel. It's not an instant solution but it's inexpensive
and it works.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:54 PM
donald

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Spike wrote:
[...]

Slave Labor?

Dick

What do you use to poison tree stumps? Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 5 28-03-2009 11:03 PM
Removing tree stumps martin United Kingdom 2 04-05-2004 05:14 PM
Killing small tree stumps Jean Staffen Texas 10 01-04-2004 08:21 PM
tree stumps Mogie Gardening 2 30-09-2003 04:03 AM
Protect Tree Stumps Paul Gardening 15 04-09-2003 10:02 PM