Old 03-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Jim Lesurf

Default Hellebore problem

I've just received some hellebore plants from T&M.

They have black markings on some of the leaves. At some places at the edges
of leaves they have a 'burnt looking' edge with a piece that is either
missing or white/shrivelled surrounded by black.

They were 3 days in the post.

I phoned T&M and they immediately offerred me a refund or credit note, so I
have no quibbles with them. (They apologised as they had no more hellebores
so could not replace.) They also said I did not have to return the plants.

Am I correct in suspecting the cause is some sort of fungus or virus or
similar? If so, are the plants rescuable? If so, how?

I have temporarily put them in their pots on the window sill. As a holding
action I could repot them and sit them outside, well away from the other
hellebore we have.

If possible I'd like to rescue and use them, but am concerned that they
will die, and if planted near an existing well-established hellebore will
infect that plant as well.

Advice on rescue, treatment, cause?...

Would it be safe to plant them near an existing hellebore?

Slainte,

Jim

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html