Old 03-06-2005, 06:05 PM
how

----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 10:48 PM
Subject: Banana tree fruit pods

snip
One of my banana plants bloomed the other day. My problem is that the
pod, which is purple in color is not all complete. This has happened
several years now. Five or six leaves, one at a time, 1 leaf per day,
would open. There would be 8-10 baby bananas under each leaf.
snip

Hi,
If you are referring to the small banana like things between the purple
"leaves", these are the male flowers and will not become fruit. All the
bananas form behind the pod. The female flowers are the dark area at the end
of the banana but there will be no viable seeds. The purple leaves are
edible, an aquired taste.
Bananas require lots of potassium to produce good fruiting and they need it
when the plants are very young, as in just emerging from the corm. IIRC the
formulation that they would want would be something like 6-2-12.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good